From: Joe on
In one of the posts about solder, somebody mentioned CVS Drug Store for
91% isopropyl alcohol.

I just called a CVS, it's $2.79 for 16 ounces and $2.99 for 32 ounces.
That's 20 cents more for double the 16 ounce size. (This is in southern
California).

A mildly related question: In thinking about other uses for rosin, it
occurred to me that I haven't seen any pitchers using a rosin bag for
years.

Maybe it went the way of the vanishing caboose. :)

--- Joe
From: William Sommerwerck on
> I just called a CVS, it's $2.79 for 16 ounces and $2.99
> for 32 ounces. That's 20 cents more for double the
> 16 ounce size. (This is in southern California).

Even the quart size is overpriced. If you're willing to wait for a sale, you
should pay no more than about $1 per pint.

> A mildly related question: In thinking about other uses
> for rosin, it occurred to me that I haven't seen any pitchers
> using a rosin bag for years.

I can just see a pitcher tossing a roll of solder at the batter. <grin>

From: Arfa Daily on

"Joe" <none(a)given.now> wrote in message
> In one of the posts about solder, somebody mentioned CVS Drug Store for
> 91% isopropyl alcohol.
>
> I just called a CVS, it's $2.79 for 16 ounces and $2.99 for 32 ounces.
> That's 20 cents more for double the 16 ounce size. (This is in southern
> California).
>

> A mildly related question: In thinking about other uses for rosin, it
> occurred to me that I haven't seen any pitchers using a rosin bag for
> years.
>
> Maybe it went the way of the vanishing caboose. :)
>
> --- Joe

91% IPA is not usually considered to be 'electronics grade', which should be
99.7% minimum. It's also not the most appropriate stuff for cleaning a lot
of flux, which requires a proper defluxing agent such as Electrolube Deflux
160

Arfa

From: Geoffrey S. Mendelson on
GregS wrote:

> 95% is a very good figure. I actually use the NON-denatured stuff.

How about the drinking stuff? (95% "grain" alcohol).

Here I can by a "fifth" (750ml) for less than 250ml of 70% Isopropyl.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
To help restaurants, as part of the "stimulus package", everyone must order
From: David Nebenzahl on
On 7/26/2010 11:49 AM Geoffrey S. Mendelson spake thus:

> GregS wrote:
>
>> 95% is a very good figure. I actually use the NON-denatured stuff.
>
> How about the drinking stuff? (95% "grain" alcohol).
>
> Here I can by a "fifth" (750ml) for less than 250ml of 70% Isopropyl.

Well, that's ethanol, which should also work fine, so long as you don't
mind the 5% water.