From: krw on
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 18:32:20 -0400, "tm" <the_obamunist(a)whitehouse.gov> wrote:

><krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 22:30:29 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
>> <jonSPAMMENOTdanniken(a)yahSPAMhoo.com> wrote:

>>>Perhaps it is different where you live, but here in the US, denatured
>>>alcohol is not methanol; it is, instead, ethanol with a denaturant added.
>>>The denaturant can be methanol, or it can be any number of other
>>>chemicals,
>>>so long as it is sufficiently adulterated to prevent a person from using
>>>it
>>>for ingestion.
>>
>> Right. Methanol is a very poor denaturant. The idea is to make it
>> undrinkable, not lethal. Someone ralfing their guts out for an hour is
>> cheaper than blindness or death. Now, Sterno...
>
>The treatment for Methanol poisoning is Ethanol and lots of it. Usually by
>IV.

AIUI, this swamps the liver so it doesn't produce as much formaldehyde at
once.
From: Dave Platt on
In article <6umu46159hqem3o9anb0camshgio9j30gp(a)4ax.com>,
krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz <krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote:

>>Perhaps it is different where you live, but here in the US, denatured
>>alcohol is not methanol; it is, instead, ethanol with a denaturant added.
>>The denaturant can be methanol, or it can be any number of other chemicals,
>>so long as it is sufficiently adulterated to prevent a person from using it
>>for ingestion.
>
>Right. Methanol is a very poor denaturant. The idea is to make it
>undrinkable, not lethal. Someone ralfing their guts out for an hour is
>cheaper than blindness or death.

Yup. Recipies for denaturing ethanol seem to vary a lot by country
and by intended application of the denatured alcohol.

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/27cfr21_03.html lists a
bunch of different formulas that are specifically defined and
authorized in the U.S. for certain applications. Some of them seem
downright scary:

Formula 2-C: To every 100 gallons of alcohol add thirty-three pounds
or more of metallic sodium and either 1/2 gallon of
benzene, 1/2 gallon of toluene, or 1/2 gallon of
rubber hydrocarbon solvent.

5 gallons of methanol per 100 gallons of ethanol is Formula 3-A.

--
Dave Platt <dplatt(a)radagast.org> AE6EO
From: Dave Platt on
In article <i2nmh7$2mq$1(a)adenine.netfront.net>,
tm <the_obamunist(a)whitehouse.gov> wrote:

>> Right. Methanol is a very poor denaturant. The idea is to make it
>> undrinkable, not lethal. Someone ralfing their guts out for an hour is
>> cheaper than blindness or death. Now, Sterno...
>
>The treatment for Methanol poisoning is Ethanol and lots of it. Usually by
>IV.

The same treatment is also used at times in cases of poisoning due to
ethylene glycol (antifreeze). If I recall correctly, the idea is to
saturate the liver's conversion-enzyme system with ethanol, thus
blocking the breakdown of methanol or glycol into toxic byproducts.

--
Dave Platt <dplatt(a)radagast.org> AE6EO
From: GregS on
In article <jrmu469u6g971p30bt3i94oool6vj2k8ub(a)4ax.com>, "krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" <krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote:
>On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:50:11 GMT, zekfrivo(a)zekfrivolous.com (GregS) wrote:
>
>>In article <g31s46p08a2d3iasq94q31guq46k07n7ra(a)4ax.com>,

>>>Not a wise move. The un-taxed stuff (not for human consumption) often
>>>contains benzene.
>>
>>Thats the 99% stuff that contains benzene.
>
>Much of the untaxed ethanol uses the benzene process.

None of the 95%.

From: krw on
On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 13:09:34 GMT, zekfrivo(a)zekfrivolous.com (GregS) wrote:

>In article <jrmu469u6g971p30bt3i94oool6vj2k8ub(a)4ax.com>, "krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" <krw(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote:
>>On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 13:50:11 GMT, zekfrivo(a)zekfrivolous.com (GregS) wrote:

>>>Thats the 99% stuff that contains benzene.
>>
>>Much of the untaxed ethanol uses the benzene process.
>
>None of the 95%.

I wouldn't bet my life on it.