From: JSH on
On Nov 28, 3:54 pm, Joshua Cranmer <Pidgeo...(a)verizon.invalid> wrote:
> On 11/28/2009 6:19 PM, JSH wrote:
>
> > A better search is: twin towers collapse
>
> > The top 10 results are enlightening.  Wikipedia leads and I'd say that
> > NONE are conspiracy theories.
>
> No, the "wtc7.net" one is most definitely a conspiracy theory site. The
> banner practically screams it ("misinformation"). Just reading some of
> the stuff on that site makes you want to pull your hair out (the
> cellular system in the U.S. is not designed to handle a cell phone
> moving at 10K feet at several hundred miles per hour...).
>
> > I'd say doing a search in a way that people who actually want
> > information might do it, is what works.
>
> You completely miss the point, again. The thesis of our argument is that
> the search results of Google has no bearing on the validity of the
> pages. Indeed, what has just been demonstrated is that, in some cases,
> the "natural search terms" produce invalid results.
>
> > Making me 1 in approximately 6.8 billion people on the planet who can
> > do that.
>
> Quite the egotist. Proof by failure to find a counter-example is not,
> after all, a proof. It's just a mixture of laziness and, in some cases,
> egotism or perhaps elitism.
>
> > My open source program roared to the top years ago, and has not been
> > beaten since.
>
> Try jshydra. Wait, there's no competition for that name. How about the
> other projects I work on:
> * Thunderbird

After your claims of competing with the USAF I came back to where you
actually mentioned apps, and no way you are claiming you created
Thunderbird.

> * Dehydra
> * DXR

Nor these two...

> Wow, all of them in the top 10 search results. Two of them beat out
> other usage names. Weird coincidence, isn't it?

Not the same thing. I created my Class Viewer and ended up being the
sole developer (though that wasn't the original plan).

Who knows how many apps out there are called "Class Viewer" but I'd
guess it is in the hundreds, worldwide.

It seems to me some of you think I'm just bragging, but I'm actually
considering the issue of authority from search results which is not
just something I ponder, as LOTS of people all over the world work for
#1 search rankings or wonder what is the impact of the top 10
rankings.

Usenet posters appear to think there is some kind of one on one
competition--nope, none of you here probably can compete with me on
this issue, now or ever in your lifetime!--and that by simply
dismissing anything they have some kind of power, so I see these type
of discussions where one person simply throws out any rational aim in
order just to SAY SOMETHING dismissive no matter how overwhelming the
data.

But readers can just search: class viewer

That is objective data and is a reader by reader thing all over the
world that does not depend on what people SAY and is, you'll notice,
not moveable by what they say either. My Class Viewer has sat there
for 5 years on Google and I'm actually doing experiments at times to
see if they unseat it! Nothing changes though. Maybe now? Do the
search and see.

Now then, I emphasize that Usenet seems to produce a talking economy
where posters think that just by saying something they can gain
something like worldwide influence, or by dismissing it, they can make
it not be real.

But any of you who that search above know that "Joshua Cranmer" did
nothing but a local babbling on some forum, and his comments had no
more impact on the real world impact than if he were babbling about
Microsoft--the entire company. Or Mozilla whether he works with them
or not. Or any major corporation.

It's just that there is an app that has this dominant position which
none of you can touch. What you SAY is meaningless here.

Usenet does not give you mystical powers.

Saying *something* in a post does not give you superpowers over
reality.

You're still just who you are.

James Harris
From: Joshua Cranmer on
On 12/05/2009 01:13 PM, JSH wrote:
> After your claims of competing with the USAF I came back to where you
> actually mentioned apps, and no way you are claiming you created
> Thunderbird.

Duh.

> Now then, I emphasize that Usenet seems to produce a talking economy
> where posters think that just by saying something they can gain
> something like worldwide influence, or by dismissing it, they can make
> it not be real.

Obviously, you must be referring to yourself.

> But any of you who that search above know that "Joshua Cranmer" did
> nothing but a local babbling on some forum, and his comments had no
> more impact on the real world impact than if he were babbling about
> Microsoft--the entire company. Or Mozilla whether he works with them
> or not. Or any major corporation.

I let my commits speak for themselves. If you were seriously interested
in figuring what I've done in the past, you would be easily able to
figure that out.

> You're still just who you are.

Well, duh. Why would I want to be someone else?

tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth
From: JSH on
On Dec 5, 11:34 am, Joshua Cranmer <Pidgeo...(a)verizon.invalid> wrote:
> On 12/05/2009 01:13 PM, JSH wrote:
>
> > After your claims of competing with the USAF I came back to where you
> > actually mentioned apps, and no way you are claiming you created
> > Thunderbird.
>
> Duh.
>
> > Now then, I emphasize that Usenet seems to produce a talking economy
> > where posters think that just by saying something they can gain
> > something like worldwide influence, or by dismissing it, they can make
> > it not be real.
>
> Obviously, you must be referring to yourself.
>
> > But any of you who that search above know that "Joshua Cranmer" did
> > nothing but a local babbling on some forum, and his comments had no
> > more impact on the real world impact than if he were babbling about
> > Microsoft--the entire company.  Or Mozilla whether he works with them
> > or not.  Or any major corporation.
>
> I let my commits speak for themselves. If you were seriously interested
> in figuring what I've done in the past, you would be easily able to
> figure that out.

Couldn't care less.

I'm sure your colleagues at Mozilla know as much about you as they
need to know.

The point here is authority from Google search results.

If I do a search on Mozilla one organization comes up #1. Is that
just chance? A meaningless result?

Where are your attacks on Google search relevancy with a company you
claim affiliation?

What would Mozilla say about you if I asked? (Do they even know you
exist?)

What if they fell to #2? Would Mozilla find that a minor thing or
would they fight to get back to #1.

YOU brought attention to yourself and connected yourself to Mozilla on
this issue. One of their developers if any of them even know who you
are might enlighten you on the reality that Usenet gets read more than
you know.

If you keep at it, no matter what code you've written, you'll at best
be known for rants on Usenet against the value of Google searches.

And don't worry, others will probably look at your commits now. So
you've given yourself some extra attention.

I don't care.

James Harris
From: Joshua Cranmer on
On 12/05/2009 02:58 PM, JSH wrote:
> If you keep at it, no matter what code you've written, you'll at best
> be known for rants on Usenet against the value of Google searches.

That's strange, I couldn't find any of those in the top 100 results on
Google. I wonder why... :-)

tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth
From: Mark Murray on
JSH wrote: