From: JSH on
On Nov 4, 6:53 pm, JSH <jst...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> You people need to wake up.  I'm telling you the underlying math is
> EASY.  It's a technique to solve quadratic residues modulo N.
>
> If you think it's not possible then use all of your mathematical
> training to explain the second example:
>
> So now let's do, k=9.  So q = 11 mod 35, and T = 22 mod 35, so I can
> try T = 57.
>
> The trivial factorization didn't work here, so I'll just jump to, f_1
> = 19, and f_2 = 3, so:
>
> k = 3^{-1}(19 + 3) mod 35 = 12(22) mod 35 = 264 mod 35 = 19 mod 35.
>
> 19^2 = 11 mod 35
>
> so it worked!  (It's so weird though watching it.  Even though I know
> the underlying mathematics it seems like magic.)

Often f_1 or f_2 will BE the answer as above, so one way short-hand to
beginning to understand the fundamental result is that given a
quadratic residue q modulo N, and f_1*f_2 = 2q mod N, where f_1*f_2
does not equal 2q, either f_1 or f_2 will tend to be a solution to the
quadratic residue. i.e. if k^2 = q mod N, then f_1 or f_2 will tend
to equal k.

What's interesting is that is a fundamental algebraic congruence
result, apparently previously unknown.

James Harris
From: Enrico on
On Nov 4, 7:53 pm, JSH <jst...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> You people need to wake up.  I'm telling you the underlying math is
> EASY.  It's a technique to solve quadratic residues modulo N.
>
> If you think it's not possible then use all of your mathematical
> training to explain the second example:
>
> So now let's do, k=9.  So q = 11 mod 35, and T = 22 mod 35, so I can
> try T = 57.
>
> The trivial factorization didn't work here, so I'll just jump to, f_1
> = 19, and f_2 = 3, so:
>
> k = 3^{-1}(19 + 3) mod 35 = 12(22) mod 35 = 264 mod 35 = 19 mod 35.
>
> 19^2 = 11 mod 35
>
> so it worked!  (It's so weird though watching it.  Even though I know
> the underlying mathematics it seems like magic.)
>
> And that is a factoring example, as I know k=9 is a solution, so I
> have
>
> 19^2 = 9^2 mod 35
>
> so (19-9)(19+9) = 0 mod 35, so (10)(28) = 0 mod 35, and you pull 5 and
> 7 as factors with a gcd.
>
> THAT is how you use a method for solving quadratic residues modulo N:
> you find one quadratic residue and then go looking for another.
>
> Factoring problem solved.
>
> Happy one year birthday to the solution as it's a year old about now.
>
> James Harris

I set up a routine to factor odd composites using the ideas you
listed.
The general idea is to get X^2 = Y^2 mod the target composite N.

X = 1, 2, 3, ...

Y is calculated from X^2 mod N using 3 ^ (-1) mod N and the sum of the
factors of the result are used - to keep things simple, I just used 1
as
the first factor. (Sloppy description - I assume you know your own
stuff)

The results seem to be periodic over intervals of N.

Example:
N = 299 = 13 * 23
A = 0, 1, 2, 3, ...

X = 299 * A + 12, 58, 116, 137, 162, 183, 241, 287
Y = 196, 150, 1, 254, 254, 1, 150, 196

X^2 mod N = Y^2 mod N = 144, 75, 1, 231, 231, 1, 75, 144

GCD (X+Y, N) divides N
GCD (X -Y, N) divides N

Works. Practical ? Dunno.

Enrico
From: Mark Murray on
JSH wrote:
> And I HATE ranting and posters just get on my case for ranting as they
> ALREADY MADE UP THEIR MINDS!!!
>
> But it's so frustrating when you have the math and it's so easy.

You're not so much ranting as whining. You're not getting your way, and
just like a petulant 4-year-old, you throw a tantrum.

With great inevitability you bring out SWJPAM and whine some more about
that.

Either do maths, or don't do maths. Either way, don't whine about it.

If you choose to do maths, FINISH it CHECK it THEN publish it. "Checking"
includes ensuring that it is correct, relevant and original (in more or
less that order). "Relevant" includes ensuring it somehow adds to maths
in a meaningful way and "Original" means it hasn't been done before.

Put heart-and-soul into avoiding writing essays about how great you are,
or whining about how the reception you got is not the mass adulation you
expected. Try to learn how real mathematicians do this.

Mark Murray
From: rossum on
On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 20:41:32 -0800 (PST), Enrico <ungernerik(a)aol.com>
wrote:

>On Nov 4, 7:53 pm, JSH <jst...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> You people need to wake up.  I'm telling you the underlying math is
>> EASY.  It's a technique to solve quadratic residues modulo N.
>>
>> If you think it's not possible then use all of your mathematical
>> training to explain the second example:
>>
>> So now let's do, k=9.  So q = 11 mod 35, and T = 22 mod 35, so I can
>> try T = 57.
>>
>> The trivial factorization didn't work here, so I'll just jump to, f_1
>> = 19, and f_2 = 3, so:
>>
>> k = 3^{-1}(19 + 3) mod 35 = 12(22) mod 35 = 264 mod 35 = 19 mod 35.
>>
>> 19^2 = 11 mod 35
>>
>> so it worked!  (It's so weird though watching it.  Even though I know
>> the underlying mathematics it seems like magic.)
>>
>> And that is a factoring example, as I know k=9 is a solution, so I
>> have
>>
>> 19^2 = 9^2 mod 35
>>
>> so (19-9)(19+9) = 0 mod 35, so (10)(28) = 0 mod 35, and you pull 5 and
>> 7 as factors with a gcd.
>>
>> THAT is how you use a method for solving quadratic residues modulo N:
>> you find one quadratic residue and then go looking for another.
>>
>> Factoring problem solved.
>>
>> Happy one year birthday to the solution as it's a year old about now.
>>
>> James Harris

>I set up a routine to factor odd composites using the ideas you
>listed.
>The general idea is to get X^2 = Y^2 mod the target composite N.
>
>X = 1, 2, 3, ...
You need to check that GCD(X, N) = 0 here. GCD > 0 gives you a factor
immediately. Trying to proceed will get you into all sorts of
trouble. 10^2 mod 35 = 30, but 30 is not a quadratic residue because
GCD(10, 35) = 5.

rossum

From: Arturo Magidin on
On Nov 6, 8:06 am, rossum <rossu...(a)coldmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 20:41:32 -0800 (PST), Enrico <ungerne...(a)aol.com>
> wrote:
>

> >I set up a routine to factor odd composites using the ideas you
> >listed.
> >The general idea is to get X^2 = Y^2 mod the target composite N.
>
> >X = 1, 2, 3, ...
>
> You need to check that GCD(X, N) = 0 here.

GCD(a,b) = 0 if and only if a=b=0, so no, he does not have to check
that.

> GCD > 0 gives you a factor
> immediately.

GCD(X,N) always gives you a factor of N; however, for it to be a
*nontrivial* factor, you ned to check 1 < GCD(X,N) < n.

--
ArturO Magidin