From: Mark Murray on
JSH wrote:
> So then, what could possibly have made me so confident without having
> worked a SINGLE composite example?

Your usual arrogant hubris.

> It's actually very beautiful mathematics.

.... like this.

Mark Murray
From: Enrico on
On Nov 6, 7:57 pm, JSH <jst...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 6, 6:49 pm, Enrico <ungerne...(a)aol.com> wrote:

> > > Nope.  I stopped BEFORE using N=35, as I only did that recently to
> > > demonstrate with a composite.
>
> > > So I actually celebrated last year before I'd ever even done a
> > > composite N, at all.
>
> > > My original posting on this subject on my blog actually had an example
> > > with N=19.
>
> > > So then, what could possibly have made me so confident without having
> > > worked a SINGLE composite example?

> > > Then no worries!!!

> > > Nope, not Pollard - Rho.  There's a linking between two
> > > factorizations.  You're leveraging one number to factor another.
>
> > > You could say, the one number is helping you with information about
> > > the other.
>
> > > It can do that because it is intimately connected to the other number..
>
> > > It's actually very beautiful mathematics.
>
> > > Curiosity is a good thing, as without it you'll never understand the
> > > result.  It'll just be this weird mathematical mystery which you think
> > > fails with increasing size of the number.
>
> > > But why?  What mathematical reason would there be beyond your
> > > intuition that the bigger the number the harder to factor?
>
> > > Any guesses?
>
> > > James Harris- Hide quoted text -

> > > But why?  What mathematical reason would there be beyond your
> > > intuition that the bigger the number the harder to factor?
>
> > Direct observation of test results.
>
> > with N = 35, the factors 5 and 7 are swarming all over the page.
> > I have to look carefully to find cases where no factor is found.
>
> > If I increase the value of one factor, leaving the other one small,
> > the small one still occurs with the same density. The large one
> > is more thinly distributed and has to be searched for.
>
> > If I make both factors larger, both occur less frequently and have
> > to be fished for. The bigger I make them, the more thinly they are
> > distributed. The trend is obvious.
>
> > However, I'm not done yet - there are some more ways to tweak
> > this thing that I thought were impractical when I started.
>
> >                                                  Enrico
>
> The algorithm has to work if:
>
> T - f_1^2 is a quadratic residue modulo N.
>
> But it will NOT work if that is not a quadratic residue modulo N.
>
> With that information you should be able to fix your program as your
> conclusions are wrong.
>
> Size of N is irrelevant to the algorithm.  It only cares at best about
> the number of prime factors of N.  Nothing else.
>
> Notice that if the trivial factorization does NOT work on the first
> try then it will not work for any T, as f_1 mod N will NOT change, so
> the key relation will never hold.
>
> James Harris- Hide quoted text -

Did a retake on T = 2q +jN

I've been using j = 1 only

With additional values of j things work alot better.

Enrico
From: JSH on
On Nov 7, 8:57 am, Enrico <ungerne...(a)aol.com> wrote:
> On Nov 6, 7:57 pm, JSH <jst...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > ===============================================

> > > Direct observation of test results.
>
> > > with N = 35, the factors 5 and 7 are swarming all over the page.
> > > I have to look carefully to find cases where no factor is found.
>
> > > If I increase the value of one factor, leaving the other one small,
> > > the small one still occurs with the same density. The large one
> > > is more thinly distributed and has to be searched for.
>
> > > If I make both factors larger, both occur less frequently and have
> > > to be fished for. The bigger I make them, the more thinly they are
> > > distributed. The trend is obvious.
>
> > > However, I'm not done yet - there are some more ways to tweak
> > > this thing that I thought were impractical when I started.
>
> > >                                                  Enrico
>
> > The algorithm has to work if:
>
> > T - f_1^2 is a quadratic residue modulo N.
>
> > But it will NOT work if that is not a quadratic residue modulo N.
>
> > With that information you should be able to fix your program as your
> > conclusions are wrong.
>
> > Size of N is irrelevant to the algorithm.  It only cares at best about
> > the number of prime factors of N.  Nothing else.
>
> > Notice that if the trivial factorization does NOT work on the first
> > try then it will not work for any T, as f_1 mod N will NOT change, so
> > the key relation will never hold.
>
> > James Harris- Hide quoted text -

> Did a retake on T = 2q +jN
>
> I've been using j = 1 only

Yeah I noticed that in your description, but if 2q - f_1^2 is NOT a
quadratic residue modulo N, then you won't get a solution so only one
trivial factorization need be checked.

> With additional values of j things work alot better.
>
>                                                     Enrico

Showing you the power of mathematical proof.

Examples can only do so much, though they can help clarify because I
only recently noticed that latest myself though it's in my research
results where it's been for over a year. I just didn't realize the
significance in this context until recently.

Surrogate factoring is already large enough that most of the answers
are buried somewhere in the equations.

But even I get lost often on the details.

IN any event, it's a beautiful little result. A fundamental
relationship between solutions to quadratic residues, and factoring.

James Harris
From: Mark Murray on
JSH wrote:
> Showing you the power of mathematical proof.

Proof?

Where is the theorem?

Mark Murray
From: Enrico on
On Nov 7, 10:42 am, JSH <jst...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 7, 8:57 am, Enrico <ungerne...(a)aol.com> wrote:

> > > The algorithm has to work if:
>
> > > T - f_1^2 is a quadratic residue modulo N.
>
> > > But it will NOT work if that is not a quadratic residue modulo N.
>
> > > With that information you should be able to fix your program as your
> > > conclusions are wrong.
>
> > > Size of N is irrelevant to the algorithm.  It only cares at best about
> > > the number of prime factors of N.  Nothing else.
>
> > > Notice that if the trivial factorization does NOT work on the first
> > > try then it will not work for any T, as f_1 mod N will NOT change, so
> > > the key relation will never hold.
>
> > > James Harris- Hide quoted text -

> > Did a retake on T = 2q +jN
>
> > I've been using j = 1 only
>
> Yeah I noticed that in your description, but if 2q - f_1^2 is NOT a
> quadratic residue modulo N, then you won't get a solution so only one
> trivial factorization need be checked.
>
> > With additional values of j things work alot better.
>
> >                                                     Enrico
>
> Showing you the power of mathematical proof.
>
> Examples can only do so much, though they can help clarify because I
> only recently noticed that latest myself though it's in my research
> results where it's been for over a year.  I just didn't realize the
> significance in this context until recently.
>
> Surrogate factoring is already large enough that most of the answers
> are buried somewhere in the equations.
>
> But even I get lost often on the details.
>
> IN any event, it's a beautiful little result.  A fundamental
> relationship between solutions to quadratic residues, and factoring.
>
> James Harris- Hide quoted text -

> Yeah I noticed that in your description, but if 2q - f_1^2 is NOT a
> quadratic residue modulo N, then you won't get a solution so only one
> trivial factorization need be checked.

One thing bothers me here - how do you test if a number is a
quadratic
residue modulo a composite N without knowing its prime factors first?
As N gets larger than 35, the list of quadratic residues gets
unmanagably long.

Enrico