From: Andreas Goesele on
Hi,

after I switched to 1280x1024 as resolution fonts in Java-Applications
are too small for me.

I can change some fonts at runtime by passing
-Dswing.plaf.metal.controlFont=Dialog-18 and
-Dswing.plaf.metal.userFont=Dialog-18 to java.

Unfortunatelly this leaves in the applications I tested some fonts
unchanged.

-Dswing.plaf.metal.titleFont=Dialog-18
-Dswing.plaf.metal.menuFont=Dialog-18
-Dswing.plaf.metal.systemFont=Dialog-18
-Dswing.plaf.metal.smallFont=Dialog-18

all have no effect.

Is there any other way I can change font size in java applications at
runtime?

Thanks a lot!

Andreas G�sele

--
Omnis enim res, quae dando non deficit, dum habetur et non datur,
nondum habetur, quomodo habenda est.

On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 13:45:25 +0200, Andreas Goesele wrote:

> after I switched to 1280x1024 as resolution fonts in Java-Applications
> are too small for me.

Have you checked (inside the java app) for a setting to define the
interface layout to use in the program?

I can select from various flavours, each of one using different fonts:

[x] System native (which seems to use the same font type and size as the
other desktop applications)
[ ] CDE/Motif
[ ] GTK+
[ ] Metal
[ ] Nimbus

Also, you could check that your whole desktop DPI setting is not defined
at a very low value.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Camale�n <noelamac(a)gmail.com> writes:

> Have you checked (inside the java app) for a setting to define the
> interface layout to use in the program?
>
> I can select from various flavours, each of one using different fonts:
>
> [x] System native (which seems to use the same font type and size as the
> other desktop applications)
> [ ] CDE/Motif
> [ ] GTK+
> [ ] Metal
> [ ] Nimbus

I don't see how I could dee this inside the java apps I use, but the
corresponding
-Dswing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel indeed
did improve things for one of the applications I use. But still there
are some fonts which are too small. Other applications don't react to
that option.

> Also, you could check that your whole desktop DPI setting is not
> defined at a very low value.

As a matter of fact the automatic setting resultet in dpi=86, somewhat
too small. But even if I set a higher dpi, the java apps I use are not
affected. (Other applications - like kde apps - are changing font
sizes.)

Thanks for your suggestions!

Andreas G�sele

On Sun, 08 Aug 2010 00:50:36 +0200, Andreas Goesele wrote:

> Camaleón writes:
>
>> Have you checked (inside the java app) for a setting to define the
>> interface layout to use in the program?
>>
>> I can select from various flavours, each of one using different fonts:
>>
>> [x] System native (which seems to use the same font type and size as
>> the other desktop applications)
>> [ ] CDE/Motif
>> [ ] GTK+
>> [ ] Metal
>> [ ] Nimbus
>
> I don't see how I could dee this inside the java apps I use, but the
> corresponding
> -Dswing.defaultlaf=com.sun.java.swing.plaf.gtk.GTKLookAndFeel indeed did
> improve things for one of the applications I use. But still there are
> some fonts which are too small. Other applications don't react to that
> option.

Mmm, I have tested that parameter to launch a java app and had no effect
at all so maybe that setting is application dependant, I mean, it could
be that the java app had to be coded taking that property into account in
order to get it working :-?

>> Also, you could check that your whole desktop DPI setting is not
>> defined at a very low value.
>
> As a matter of fact the automatic setting resultet in dpi=86, somewhat
> too small. But even if I set a higher dpi, the java apps I use are not
> affected. (Other applications - like kde apps - are changing font
> sizes.)

That was the default setting for GNOME (86 dpi) but was so small I
changed to 96 dpi, which I find it more legible.

JFYI, within my system (I'm using GNOME), java applications use the same
font face and font size I have defined for the desktop font settings (in
my case, that is Tahoma 8 pt). What desktop are you using? And have you
asked the developer of the involved application? It could be worth a try
to send him/her a line asking what can you do to change the font face and
size for the GUI :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón