From: Brett Mahar on
Hi all,
I installed Debian a few days ago and had no trouble downloading extra
packages using apt-get. Then I re-installed today, and hardly anything
will work (Transmission did install). Any idea what is wrong?

My updated sources.list file:
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 5.0.5 _Lenny_ - Official i386 CD Binary-1
20100626-17:37]/ lenny main
deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
deb http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main
deb-src http://volatile.debian.org/debian-volatile lenny/volatile main
deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/ main contrib non-free
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/ main contrib non-free

I ran apt-get update (as root), then tried installing many things, eg:

debian:/home/brett# apt-get install mozilla-plugin-vlc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

mozilla-plugin-vlc: Depends: vlc-nox (= 0.8.6.h-4+lenny2.3) but it
is not going to be installed
Depends: vlc but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libavcodec51 (>= 0.svn20080206-8) but
it is not going to be installed or
libavcodec-unstripped-51 (>=
0.svn20080206-8) but it is not installable
Depends: libvlc0 (>= 0.8.6.h) but it is not
going to be installed
E: Broken packages

debian:/home/brett# apt-get install gstreamer-tools
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package gstreamer-tools

debian:/home/brett# apt-get install openoffice.org
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
or been moved out of Incoming.

openoffice.org: Depends: openoffice.org-core (=
1:2.4.1+dfsg-1+lenny7) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: openoffice.org-writer but it is not going
to be installed
Depends: openoffice.org-calc but it is not going to
be installed
Depends: openoffice.org-impress but it is not going
to be installed
Depends: openoffice.org-draw but it is not going to
be installed
Depends: openoffice.org-math but it is not going to
be installed
Depends: openoffice.org-base but it is not going to
be installed
Depends: openoffice.org-report-builder-bin but it is
not going to be installed
Depends: ttf-liberation but it is not installable
Depends: openoffice.org-officebean but it is not
going to be installed
Depends: openoffice.org-writer2latex but it is not installable
Depends: openoffice.org-filter-mobiledev but it is
not going to be installed
Depends: openoffice.org-java-common (> 2.2.0-4) but
it is not going to be installed
Recommends: openoffice.org-filter-binfilter but it
is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

Thanks in advance!
Brett.

Brett Mahar <brett.mahar(a)gmail.com> writes:
> deb http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/ main contrib non-free
> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/dists/lenny/ main contrib non-free

These are wrong. Try with a sources.list that only has

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ lenny main
deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main

and nothing else. Then post the output of apt-get update and apt-get
install gstreamer-tools.

On 7 August 2010 22:00, Timo Juhani Lindfors <timo.lindfors(a)iki.fi> wrote:

> These are wrong. Try with a sources.list that only has
>
> deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ lenny main
> deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main
>
> and nothing else. Then post the output of apt-get update and apt-get
> install gstreamer-tools.

Thanks, Timo, this worked.