From: johan on
Hi,

I got WindowsXP/SP2 IE6 (note, I skipped installation of SP1).
I have installed, removed, and re-installed the latest Java JRE 1.5 several
times but still it does not work.

Pop up Error "Java Plug-in 1.5.0_11 is not installed properly" when opening
a webpage with Java activity.

While trying to run Java in an IE window, there is the error "Java Plug-in
detected JRE collision"

In IE6
Internet Options > Advanced: the checkbox Java(Sun) is NOT present. How to
introduce a checkbox in IE6? Via the registry

editor? I think the problem is with IE6, not with Java, although the Java
Installer should check if the checkbox is present in

IE6.

In control panel (classic view), I clicked on Java Control Panel, Advanced
tab, Settings, <APPLET> tag support and I ticked the

checkbox Internet Explorer, followed by Apply. However, an error followed
"Unable to Change Browser Settings. Please check if

you have sufficient permissions to change system settings". Note, I have
switched off all security software and have put the

IE6 security/privacy on Low. Still the problem persists.

So what is there to be done to fix the problem with Java in IE6??

Regards
From: Jon Kennedy on
Check the permissions of this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\AdvancedOptions

--

Jon R. Kennedy MS MVP/IE
Charlotte, NC USA

From: johan on
Hi,

The permissions of AdvancedOptions are the following:
Administrators: Full Control=Allowed; Read=Allowed
CREATOR OWNER: Special Permissions=Allowed
SYSTEM: Full Control=Allowed; Read=Allowed
Users: Read=Allowed

All other checkboxes are not ticked.
Let me please know how I can repair this Java(Sun) problem

regards

From: johan on
I just noticed something.
AdvancedOptions has several underlaying folders, among which JAVA_VM. The
permission of JAVA_VM has one extra field called MJ (which is my username or
logon name) with Special Permissions=Allowed, all other checkboxes are not
ticked.
It looks like underlaying folders have more fields than AdvancedOptions.

From: Jon Kennedy on
Are you uninstalling all versions of Java via Add/Remove in Control Panel?
After doing that, in IE, go to Tools...Internet Options...General
tab....Settings...View Objects. Right click any Java Runtime Environment
entries there and click Remove - if any. Then via Windows Explorer or My
Computer, do any manual clean-up, if necessary, and delete these folders:

C:\Windows\Sun
C:\Windows\Java
C:\Program Files\Java

In C:\Windows\System32 - delete javaw.exe, java.exe and javaws.exe

Delete these keys in your registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\JavaSoft
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JavaSoft

Then reinstall Java via the manual download method described here:
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/5000010300.xml
Test your install here:
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/testvm.xml

Note from Sun Java support:
"Multiple versions of the JRE can be run in different browser sessions.
However, multiple versions can not be run in the same browser session.
Should this be attempted, the user is warned and the attempt will fail."

Do you have the MS Java VM installed on this computer?