From: Doug Gunnoe on
On Mar 29, 8:24 am, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedE...(a)web.de>
wrote:

> It doesn't take a writer to recognize a bad book.

And it doesn't take a gifted writer to write a good book.

Although it may take a team of editors working day and night to remove
all the 'angry nerd' comments from a 'PointedEars' manuscript, I for
one would be interested in reading the final product. And I'm sure
there are others who follow this group who would buy a copy as well.
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Doug Gunnoe wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> It doesn't take a writer to recognize a bad book.
>
> And it doesn't take a gifted writer to write a good book.

Yes, it does. You want to look up "gifted".

> [snip drivel]

PointedEars
-- Richard Cornford, cljs, <f806at$ail$1$8300dec7(a)news.demon.co.uk>
From: RobG on
On Mar 28, 12:05 pm, MikeJ <no_spam_ple...(a)nothere.com> wrote:

Please don't top post here, reply below trimmed quotes.

> That pdf

"That PDF" is the current standard for the underlying language
commonly used for scripting browsers called ECMAScript. The link is to
ed. 5, which is quite new (Dec 09) and not widely implemented yet,
although some parts are in some browsers.

You should also get ed.3 (Dec 99), which can be found here:

as it is more widely implemented and better supported in browsers.

> didn't seem to contain javascript functions such as
> addEventListener etc..

Those functions are not part of ECMAScript, though they are usually
considered part of "javascript". They are defined in various places,
the "official" documentation is at the W3C, however there is also
documentation available from various other sources, such as browser
vendors like Mozilla and Microsoft, that have additional information
about their implementation of ECMAScript and DOM interfaces.

Section 3.2 of the FAQ should help with that:

--
Rob
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
RobG wrote:

> MikeJ wrote:
>> didn't seem to contain javascript functions such as
>> addEventListener etc..
>
> Those functions are not part of ECMAScript, though they are usually
> considered part of "javascript".

Which finally makes this invented term and definition completely ludicrous.
Could you *please* drop it now *for* *good*? Host objects and their methods
are _not_ part of the programming language; not of the Specification, and
certainly not of the implementation of the Specification. They are part of
a language-independent API provided by the host environment.

PointedEars
--
var bugRiddenCrashPronePieceOfJunk = (
) // Plone, register_function.js:16
From: Garrett Smith on
MikeJ wrote:
> Anyone know of a place you can download a PDF reference manual for
> javascript? The book I have is getting pretty old I guess.

Certainly.

ECMA-262, Ed 3 and 5 and JScript ECMAScript Deviations are linked from
the FAQ's "resources" section.

http://jibbering.com/faq/#ecmascriptResources

Reposted here, for convenience:
The Official ECMAScript Specification
[ECMA-262]
<http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-262-arch.htm>

[ISO16262] ISO/IEC 16262, Second edition 2002-06-01 : ISO Standard
matching ECMA-262 3rd Edition, with corrections.
<http://standards.iso.org/ittf/PubliclyAvailableStandards/c033835_ISO_IEC_16262_2002(E).zip>

[MS-ES3]: Internet Explorer ECMA-262 ECMAScript Language Specification
Standards Support
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff520996%28VS.85%29.aspx>

[MS-ES3EX]: Microsoft JScript Extensions to the ECMAScript
Language Specification Third Edition
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff521046%28VS.85%29.aspx>

--
Garrett