From: Bob Barrows on
Phil Smith wrote:
> I don.t get it. I have a query which returns data no problem.
>
> SELECT MasterList_Step3.Brand, MasterList_Step3.[Item Type]
> FROM MasterList_Step3
> WHERE (((MasterList_Step3.[Item Type])<>"Irregular" And
> (MasterList_Step3.[Item Type])<>"Catalog"));

"MasterList_Step3" is the name of a table? Does this name imply that you
have multiple "MasterList" tables that are differentiated only by a
"Step" number? If so, this would not be a very good design: the step
number should be stored as data, not metadata. OTOH, if
"MasterList_Step3" is the name of a query that only select records from
a table called "MasterList" where the step number is 3, then you have
done a good thing.

> If I join a table to it, it fails with the above error.
>

> SELECT MasterList_Step3.Brand, MasterList_Step3.[Item Type],
> Brand_DivisionSelector.Division
> FROM Brand_DivisionSelector RIGHT JOIN MasterList_Step3 ON
> (Brand_DivisionSelector.Brand = MasterList_Step3.Brand) AND
> (Brand_DivisionSelector.Division = MasterList_Step3.Division)
> WHERE (((MasterList_Step3.[Item Type])<>"Irregular" And
> (MasterList_Step3.[Item Type])<>"Catalog"));

So "Brand_DivisionSelector" is a table? You can successfully create the
following query?

SELECT Brand_DivisionSelector.Division
FROM Brand_DivisionSelector

--