From: Larry Serflaten on

"awrl100" <awrl100(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
> Thank you Dee, that has partially answered my question.
>
> Does anybody have any recommendations as to what I can consider the most
> appropriate reference for VBA? For instance if I wanted to understand how to
> create my own classes for VBA for Office 2007 documents (VSTO is not an
> option) where shoudl I look?

BASIC is a programming language. Visual Basic is Microsoft's version of that
language. VBA is that language tied to specific applications, extending that
product to allow user customizations.

For references to programming specific (Office) products, visit the
developer's site for that specific product. If you want to customize
(Word) documents, then visit the developer's site for Word to learn how
to access documents:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa189851(office.10).aspx

If you want something more detailed about VBA itself, then visit the
(Office) site on using VBA:

Start with the section 'Getting the most out of VBA':
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa140980(office.10).aspx

Are you saying you didn't find any of this???

Typically the definitive guide to any programming lanuage is held in
a Language Reference document. The one for the full VB product
looks like this:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa338033(VS.60).aspx

But VBA is embedded into other applications, so each application
has their own reference guide. To find the one you want, start here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb190882(office.11).aspx

HTH
LFS

From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Dee Earley <dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk> wrote:

>> Can somebody please clarify for me (multiple corroborating responses would
>> be appreciated):
>> Is "Visual Basic for Applications" ("VBA") another name for "Visual Basic
>> 6.0" ("VB6"), or is VBA an extension of VB6, or is it a subset of VB6, or
>> merely related to but separate from VB6, or am I still utterly incorrect? Is
>> there a document which clarifies this (I can�t find it)?
>
>VBA is the VB language built into other applications
>VB6 and VBA share the same syntax and language engine but have a
>different framework, especially relating to forms.

I wouldn't be so specific as to use the word forms. Although
granted VB6 forms and Access forms are very different in many
respects.

I would say that the object model, which includes forms, varies
greatly depending on what product the VBA is associated with. For
Access VBA supports tables, recordsets, queries, forms, reports. For
Excel VBA supports spreadsheets, workbooks, cells, ranges and so
forth.

What I find amusing is a very minor bug exists in the VBA editor as
well as VB6 editor.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
From: Dee Earley on
On 17/02/2010 23:22, Tony Toews [MVP] wrote:
> Dee Earley<dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk> wrote:
>> VB6 and VBA share the same syntax and language engine but have a
>> different framework, especially relating to forms.
>
> I wouldn't be so specific as to use the word forms. Although
> granted VB6 forms and Access forms are very different in many
> respects.
>
> I would say that the object model, which includes forms, varies
> greatly depending on what product the VBA is associated with. For
> Access VBA supports tables, recordsets, queries, forms, reports. For
> Excel VBA supports spreadsheets, workbooks, cells, ranges and so
> forth.

That's what I meant by the frameworks, Forms are just something that is
common between them all and different :)
The others are normally specific to each environment and would have been
far too many to list extensively.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems
From: Mike Williams on
"awrl100" <awrl100(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Is "Visual Basic for Applications" ("VBA") another
> name for "Visual Basic 6.0" ("VB6")

VBA is the version of Classic Visual Basic that Micro$oft are frightened of
killing off because they are afraid of the repercussions.

Mike

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Creating ADD ONS