From: awrl100 on
I know I am not the first person to be confused by the myriad of languages
that have assumed the mantle of "Visual Basic".

Can somebody please clarify for me (multiple corroborating responses would
be appreciated):
Is "Visual Basic for Applications" ("VBA") another name for "Visual Basic
6.0" ("VB6"), or is VBA an extension of VB6, or is it a subset of VB6, or
merely related to but separate from VB6, or am I still utterly incorrect? Is
there a document which clarifies this (I can't find it)?
In any event which section in the MSDN Library constitutes the most
authoritative and complete reference for VBA?
--
Anthony
From: Dee Earley on
On 12/02/2010 11:56, awrl100 wrote:
> I know I am not the first person to be confused by the myriad of languages
> that have assumed the mantle of "Visual Basic".
>
> Can somebody please clarify for me (multiple corroborating responses would
> be appreciated):
> Is "Visual Basic for Applications" ("VBA") another name for "Visual Basic
> 6.0" ("VB6"), or is VBA an extension of VB6, or is it a subset of VB6, or
> merely related to but separate from VB6, or am I still utterly incorrect? Is
> there a document which clarifies this (I can't find it)?

VBA is the VB language built into other applications
VB6 and VBA share the same syntax and language engine but have a
different framework, especially relating to forms.

--
Dee Earley (dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk)
i-Catcher Development Team

iCode Systems
From: Rick Raisley on
"Dee Earley" <dee.earley(a)icode.co.uk> wrote in message
> On 12/02/2010 11:56, awrl100 wrote:
>> I know I am not the first person to be confused by the myriad of
>> languages
>> that have assumed the mantle of "Visual Basic".
>>
>> Can somebody please clarify for me (multiple corroborating responses
>> would
>> be appreciated):
>> Is "Visual Basic for Applications" ("VBA") another name for "Visual Basic
>> 6.0" ("VB6"), or is VBA an extension of VB6, or is it a subset of VB6, or
>> merely related to but separate from VB6, or am I still utterly incorrect?
>> Is
>> there a document which clarifies this (I can't find it)?
>
> VBA is the VB language built into other applications
> VB6 and VBA share the same syntax and language engine but have a different
> framework, especially relating to forms.
>
> --

In addition, VBA is free (and included with Office products), while VB6
is/was sold for $100 to several hundred, VBA is not compiled into EXEs,
while VB6 can be.

--
Regards,

Rick Raisley
heavymetal-A-T-bellsouth-D-O-T-net

From: awrl100 on
Thank you Dee, that has partially answered my question.

Does anybody have any recommendations as to what I can consider the most
appropriate reference for VBA? For instance if I wanted to understand how to
create my own classes for VBA for Office 2007 documents (VSTO is not an
option) where shoudl I look?

--
Anthony

From: awrl100 on
Im going to summarise this myslef. So in terms of the language itself
(grammar, valid tokens -> function etc.) VBA and VB6, VBA is 'prettymuch'
much the same thing.
In terms of references I would now have to reccomend the 'Offline' mode for
the "Micorosoft Visual Basic Help" installed with Office, combined with any
thing under the "Office Development" section of the MSDN Library.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Creating ADD ONS
Next: Send an email