From: Shadow on
Upgraded my TX97-E (still perfect) to this piece of apparent
sh*&^&*t.
Sound does not work with most of my games, video gives me
blank windows if power down happens.
Diablo 2 is slower than with an old duron board I had (video
issue ?). Heroes of Might and Magic 4 ditto.
Quake 3 works fine ? Is that a lead ?
Have latest ASUS drivers and bios. Sempron 2600 cpu.
Win98SE
Any ideas ?

PS ... is my voodoo 3 pci 16MB inherently faster than the
onboard SIS chipset ?
From: Paul on
In article <a4hut1dkbcardkfubuq0srh7hmait95r82(a)4ax.com>, Shadow <sh(a)dow> wrote:

> Upgraded my TX97-E (still perfect) to this piece of apparent sh*&^&*t.
> Sound does not work with most of my games, video gives me
> blank windows if power down happens.
> Diablo 2 is slower than with an old duron board I had (video
> issue ?). Heroes of Might and Magic 4 ditto.
> Quake 3 works fine ? Is that a lead ?
> Have latest ASUS drivers and bios. Sempron 2600 cpu.
> Win98SE
> Any ideas ?
>
> PS ... is my voodoo 3 pci 16MB inherently faster than the
> onboard SIS chipset ?

The fastest Durons were the Model 8 ones, at 1400, 1600, and
1800MHz. The Sempron 2600+ runs at 1600MHz and has pretty close
to the same amount of cache. The Sempron 2600+ will have
superior memory bandwidth. But if you put your mind to it,
a badly written application might perform as badly on both
platforms. (Try a copy of SuperPI or one of the other CPU
benchmarks, if you really want to see that the new platform
is faster.)

For graphics, remember that games support multiple render
paths. If you have support in hardware for shaders, perhaps
the shaders are being used. If you had a video card with
simpler hardware, some games would simply refuse to run,
while others might render all effects with the CPU. It is
pretty hard to draw conclusions about system performance
due to stuff like that, as you don't know what render path
and level of sophistication is being used. Maybe the visual
appearance of the slow games is better ?

You cannot really expect to game with built-in graphics:

Integrated UniChrome Pro IGP
- Dual pixel pipelines
- 128-bit 2D/3D engine
- 200MHz engine clock speed
- 16-64MB shared memory <--- slow texture memory

Some Voodoo 3 cards had 200MHz core clock. And the
memory used for rendering is right on the card. The
bandwidth to the GPU for sending commands is poor
(as it is just a PCI bus), but the core of the card
would be solid. The UniChrome would have good bandwidth
to get commands to it, but the shared memory would
hold it back.

You'll really need some kind of video card, if you
expect an improvement. UniChrome is more intended for
office applications, email, and web surfing, than
gaming.

Generations of graphics cards have overlapped with one
another, when it comes to clocks. You can see how some
new low end cards are not really superior to some of the
high end older cards. So don't buy a video card based
on the model number having more zeros on the end.

http://web.archive.org/web/20050305080648/http://www.benchmark.pl/artykuly/zestawienie_GPU_2/skala_wydajnosci.html

You can get lots of video card benchmarks from here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/site/vgacharts/index.html

It is hard to find benchmarks comparing integrated
graphics to real video cards, and these only hint
at how far down on the charts that build-in graphics
sit.

"Integrated Graphics Showdown"

"Integrated Graphics: Xpress 200 vs. GMA 950"
http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2427&p=4

Paul
From: Shadow on
On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 17:08:59 GMT, nospam(a)needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>In article <a4hut1dkbcardkfubuq0srh7hmait95r82(a)4ax.com>, Shadow <sh(a)dow> wrote:
>
>> Upgraded my TX97-E (still perfect) to this piece of apparent sh*&^&*t.
>> Sound does not work with most of my games, video gives me
>> blank windows if power down happens.
>> Diablo 2 is slower than with an old duron board I had (video
>> issue ?). Heroes of Might and Magic 4 ditto.
>> Quake 3 works fine ? Is that a lead ?
>> Have latest ASUS drivers and bios. Sempron 2600 cpu.
>> Win98SE
>> Any ideas ?
>>
>> PS ... is my voodoo 3 pci 16MB inherently faster than the
>> onboard SIS chipset ?
>
>The fastest Durons were the Model 8 ones, at 1400, 1600, and
>1800MHz.
> The Sempron 2600+ runs at 1600MHz and has pretty close
>to the same amount of cache. The Sempron 2600+ will have
>superior memory bandwidth. But if you put your mind to it,
>a badly written application might perform as badly on both
>platforms. (Try a copy of SuperPI or one of the other CPU
>benchmarks, if you really want to see that the new platform
>is faster.)
The new system is much faster. Its games that are slower. Or
totally unplayable, due to no sound.
OpenOffice and others load much faster. No doubt at all.

>For graphics, remember that games support multiple render
>paths. If you have support in hardware for shaders, perhaps
>the shaders are being used. If you had a video card with
>simpler hardware, some games would simply refuse to run,
>while others might render all effects with the CPU. It is
>pretty hard to draw conclusions about system performance
>due to stuff like that, as you don't know what render path
>and level of sophistication is being used. Maybe the visual
>appearance of the slow games is better ?
>
>You cannot really expect to game with built-in graphics:
>
> Integrated UniChrome Pro IGP
> - Dual pixel pipelines
> - 128-bit 2D/3D engine
> - 200MHz engine clock speed
> - 16-64MB shared memory <--- slow texture memory
OK, so I bought the wrong motherboard. But even so, the sound
drivers/hardware does not pass the DXDiag test. The one supplied with
windows. Fresh windows 98SE install, latest drivers from site.
(Resultado do teste do DirectSound: Falha na etapa 19 (Software
verificado pelo usu?rio): HRESULT = 0x00000000 (c?digo de erro))

And I thought I might be able to play old favorites, from 6-8
years back, when memory was not the fastest, most video was PCI and
32MB video ram was tops.
The only other card I have on the MB is a USR 56K PCI modem,
there appear to be no conflicts.
I think my question was: is the MB crappy, or is there hope
that new video/sound drivers might put it right ? If so, where can I
get such (beta?) drivers ?
TIA

PS Thanks for the links. Pity I did not see them before.
Can u recommend a cheap AGP 1.5v video card ? with 128-256Mb
memory ? Something as compatible as my old voodoo was in its time ?
Ditto for sound card ?
From: Venom on
It amazes me that not one of you think that Win98SE is the problem.

From: Shadow on
On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 02:18:37 GMT, "Venom" <Viper(a)Mailhouse.com> wrote:

>It amazes me that not one of you think that Win98SE is the problem.

The box says Win98 or better, but I didn't have a linux cd
handy
:)