From: Shenan Stanley on
20100221 wrote:
> You need to worry about the virus you were infected with not the
> said hotfix you are talking about. In any case, there is
> absolutely no need to install any updates if you have got SP3
> installed and your firewall has been configured to allow NO
> exceptions. If you want any further advise on this please say so.

Advise away, please.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: microsoft.news.com on

"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> microsoft.news.com wrote:
>> Is it safe to install this update now
>>
>> I am using a Dell XPS9150 with Windows XP Pro SP2 (SP3 refuses to
>> complete <sigh>.
>>
>> Having suffered the BSOD caused by KB977165 and it's apparent
>> interaction with a virus (W32/Alureon?) I need to know if I can now
>> _safely_ install the update?
>>
>> How (other than a reinstall) can I be sure my system is clean?
>>
>> I use Windows Firewall and AV, AVG free, Spybot Search & Destroy
>> and Trend Housecall.
>>
>> AVG, Spybot and Trend Housecall had found one or two infections,
>> (why didn't the Windows AV and firewall stop them?) but a retest
>> gives the all clear now.
>>
>> Incidentally, after the BSOD was fixed by uninstalling the update,
>> I set Automatic
>> Updates to *Inform only*. Two days later it had reset _itself_ back
>> to *Automatically
>> download and install* _WHICH IT DID! Fortunately, I noticed the *Do
>> you want to
>> restart* message, said NO! and did a System Restore.
>>
>> Pls excuse typos/formattig, I am nearly blind.
>

> No malware, no issues.
>
> You said, "I use Windows Firewall and AV, AVG free, Spybot Search &
> Destroy and Trend Housecall."
>
> What is "Windows Firewall and AV"? There is a built in Windows XP
> firewall, but natively, Windows XP does not come with any AV (antivirus).

? I _thought it had_<shrug>
The Security Centre tells my I have AV _on_, I assume it must mean AVG then
<shrug>
How am I supposed to know that?

You mean to tell me MS haven't the nous to develop their own buit in AV?
That's like selling a car without brakes!

> You then mention AVG Free (antivirus) - and if you have misspoke and
> actually have some other antivirus installed

No
Since the BSOD, on my friens's advice I used Trend Housecall which nailed 1
virus and 1 malware that everything else had missed.

- having two antivirus
> applications installed can be very bad. Not to mention that as of the
> latest few versions, AVG has become bloated in most people's opinions. I
> recommend you drop AVG and whatever that "Windows AV" might be and either
> get Avira AntiVir (free) or eSet NOD32 (antivirus only, not the suite - at
> a cost of under $60 U.S. for two years.)
>
> Drop Sypobot Search and Destroy. Uninstall it. It's a good cleanup tool,
> but others have proven themselves better, IMHO.
>
> You also do not need Trend Housecall unless things are needing cleanup -
> not all the time.

OK

> With the Windows Firewall enabled (and as few exceptions, if any allowed)
> and a decent antivirus (I mentioned two, there are others) and an
> occassional scan with MalwareBytes (or purchase it for under $30 U.S. for
> life and run it resident for protection) you have done a good amount in
> improving overall system performance and protection, IMO.
>

> Want to get SP3 installed? (I believe you should, you are behind and soon
> will not be getting as many/any updates for your unsupported operating
> system.) I'd print this out

OK, bear in mind I will need font size 72 BOLD tho...

if you plan on doing it.

> First - please verify the exact edition, version and architecture of
> Windows XP you have:
>
> Press and hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and then press the
> "Pause/Break" key. Let go of both. This is equivalent in Windows XP to
> having right-clicked on the "My Computer" icon and chosen "Properties"
> from the menu that appears. When the new window appears - ensure you are
> under the "General" tab. Is there *anything* in there to indicate you
> have a 64-bit version of Windows XP, like the words, "Windows XP
> Professional x64 Edition Version"?
>
> If there is, let everyone here know this and stop the quest - as you have
> no
> SP3 for your operating system.
>
> If there is not, let everyone here know this and continue the quest.
>
> Next question has to do with what type of computer you own and what type
> of processor it has. It's pretty straight forward: Is it an HP branded
> computer and does it have an AMD processor installed?
>
> If the answer to BOTH of those is YES, then you need to prevent a known
> issue with that combination using the following instructions:
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com:80/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&softwareitem=pv-60484-2
>
> If the answer to EITHER of those is NO,

Dell XPS9150
XP Po

then you are generally safe in
> continuing on. But either way - answer back here so everyone can know
> what you are doing/what you have step-by-excruciating-step.
>
> What version of Internet Explorer are you currently using?

I use Firefox... and I would uninstall IE if only I could.
I wish MS would market a *lite* version of XP without all the <deleted>

I've snipped the rest for brevity.

<<<<<<<snip>>>>>>>>>>>>

This is all getting _far_ to complicated!

I have copied and saved that bit to a txet file for another day!
My eyes have had it for now, so excuse typos....

Thanks for your input :-)
..

--

VIP

From: Ottmar Freudenberger on
"microsoft.news.com" <zulu.romeotangohotel(a)ntlworld.com> schrieb:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Would you mind replacing the server's name with yours? TIA.

> Freudi, thanks, I know you are right, but there is no way I can see well
> enough to reinstall..

> There must be _some_ way to check if I am clean, surely?

No.

> Has the Kb977165 that my computer keeps telling me to download been modified
> and reissued after MS pulled the original, that's what I want to know...

No and no, as stated earlier. There's no known issue with KB977165, but
there are issues *malware* has, in case KB977165 is installed.

Bye,
Freudi
From: Daave on
Inline.

microsoft.news.com wrote:
> Is it safe to install this update now

Assuming your PC is clean, it is safe to install the KB977165 update.

> I am using a Dell XPS9150 with Windows XP Pro SP2 (SP3 refuses to
> complete <sigh>.

This is not a good thing. Not being able to complete the installation of
SP3 can mean you have malware. Of course, you might just be performing
the install incorrectly. For instance, it is important that there are
*no* security programs (like any resident antivirus program or something
like Zone Alarm) running. Personally, I prefer to configure a Clean Boot
and use the standalone SP3 installation file. If you would like further
guidance on how to best install SP3, feel free to ask. (Oh, also you
really should make sure IE is at the IE6 level before installing SP3 in
order to avoid complications down the road in the event you ever need to
perform a Repair Install.)

> Having suffered the BSOD caused by KB977165 and it's apparent
> interaction with a virus (W32/Alureon?) I need to know if I can now
> _safely_ install the update?

You can do so if you are completely malware-free.

> How (other than a reinstall) can I be sure my system is clean?

Well, a Clean Install is the only way you can be 100% sure. But if you
want to avoid doing this, you can run numerous malware scans (I
recommend Avira Antivir, MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware and SUPERAntispyware
as well as two or three online scans -- BitDefender, Trend Micro's
HouseCall and Kaspersky are all good). Posting a HijackThis log to an
appropriate Web forum would be a good idea, too, if you believe you
definitely have residual traces of malware.

> I use Windows Firewall and AV, AVG free, Spybot Search & Destroy and
> Trend Housecall.

While it's true there is a Windows Firewall (which is certainly
recommended!), there is no such thing as "Windows AV." Perhaps you mean
Microsoft Security Essentials? If not, what are you referring to?

> AVG, Spybot and Trend Housecall had found one or two infections, (why
> didn't the Windows AV and firewall stop them?) but a retest gives the
> all clear now.
>
> Incidentally, after the BSOD was fixed by uninstalling the update, I
> set Automatic
> Updates to *Inform only*. Two days later it had reset _itself_ back to
> *Automatically
> download and install* _WHICH IT DID!

Hmmmm. That's not supposed to happen! Before closing the Automatic
Updates window, did you click on either Apply or OK?

> Fortunately, I noticed the *Do you want to restart* message, said
> NO! and did a System Restore.

Depending on how far back you went with your System Restore, you may
have put the malware right back where it was! Best practice after
cleaning up after malware is to turn System Restore off and then turn it
back on (which will delete all the old restore points; this would
prevent a re-infection from occurring).

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
> I am using a Dell XPS9150 with Windows XP Pro SP2 (SP3 refuses to complete
> <sigh>.

If you can install SP3 now, chances are your computer's no longer infected
and installing KB977165 will not cause a BSOD again.

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP...SP2 fully patched
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/msg/a066ae41add7dd2b

Extended Support for WinXP SP2 ends on 10 July 2010. After that date,
computers running WinXP SP2 will NOT be offered any further critical
security updates, Automatic Updates will not work, and Windows Update
website will not be accessible until SP3 is installed.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)