From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
McAfee (and Norton) applications are notorious for not uninstalling (or
upgrading) cleanly.

1. Download the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool, saving it to your
desktop:
http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

2. Close all open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar).

3. Double-click on the file you saved in #1 above to run the utility. Don't
TOUCH your keyboard until the run completes, then reboot.

4. Now do a Reset...

[Access KB971058 via Internet Explorer (32-bit) only; Run the Fix It in
Default and Aggressive modes]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

5. Test.

Neil wrote:
> I am using SP3, Zone Alarm ,AVG and I used to have McAfee installed.
>
>> Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?

>> bought
>> it)?
>> --
>> Neil wrote:
>>> Update KB978542 will not install error code 0x8007FODA.I am using
>>> windows
>>> XP. .

From: Stan on
I installed the update and Windows would not restart...no error code
displayed. Uninstalled Norton Security Suite and was able to restart
Windows. Still trying to determine what in Norton is conflicting with this
update. I'm running WinXP Hm SP3.

From: David_2010 on

There is a MS bulletin for this update, KB978542: 'Microsoft Security
Bulletin MS10-030 - Critical: Vulnerability in Outlook Express and
Windows Mail Could Allow Remote Code Execution (978542)'
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms10-030.mspx) and
this one is connected to another MS bulletin as a replacement for the
previous one.
Therefore, you might try to install this update: KB973354 instead.

A good step is also to clear (clean) the Windows Logs:
Click "Start", point to "All Programs", point to "Administrative
Tools", and then click "Event Viewer".
Right-click on every log and then click "Properties" and �clear log�.
(when prompted, there is no need to save the file, so you can choose
�no�).
Afterwards, reboot the machine and this should also help improving the
overall performance.

I hope this can help.

--
David_2010

David
Norton Support
For more information, please visit the
Norton Support website http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/index.jsp
or the
Norton Community http://community.norton.com/

From: PA Bear [MS-MVP] on
@Stan: Assuming you used to have Comcast freebie McAfee Security
Center installed, see http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blogs/mowgreen/index.php?showentry=1655
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Thread history:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate/browse_frm/thread/d67955473bc7caaf

Nonsense!

David, KB978542/MS10-030 *supersedes* KB973354/MS09-037 (Aug-09) as well as
KB951066/MS08-048 (Aug-08). Without KB9778542 installed, the computer
remains vulnerable to the exploit detailed in CVE-2010-0816 (cf.
http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2010-0816).

Why is a company dedicated to computer security recommending that its
customers do not install a CRITICAL SECURITY UPDATE?

NB: The user you replied to is running Norton Security Suite (Comcast
freebie)! cf.

David_2010 wrote:
> There is a MS bulletin for this update, KB978542: 'Microsoft Security
> Bulletin MS10-030 - Critical: Vulnerability in Outlook Express and
> Windows Mail Could Allow Remote Code Execution (978542)'
> (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms10-030.mspx) and
> this one is connected to another MS bulletin as a replacement for the
> previous one.
> Therefore, you might try to install this update: KB973354 instead.
>
> A good step is also to clear (clean) the Windows Logs:
> Click "Start", point to "All Programs", point to "Administrative
> Tools", and then click "Event Viewer".
> Right-click on every log and then click "Properties" and �clear log�.
> (when prompted, there is no need to save the file, so you can choose
> �no�).
> Afterwards, reboot the machine and this should also help improving the
> overall performance.
>
> I hope this can help.
<paste>