From: David_2010 on

Hello,

It seems there was a confusion, my initial answer was meant for Neil.
I was simply advising to try to firstly install the previous KB, then
reboot the computer and then proceed to normal update process.

I hope this can help

--
David_2010

David
Norton Support
For more information, please visit the
Norton Support website http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/index.jsp
or the
Norton Community http://community.norton.com/

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
You didn't reply to Neil's post, you replied to Stan's post.

While Neil tells us he doesn't have any Norton software installed ("I am
using SP3, Zone Alarm, AVG and I used to have McAfee installed"), Stan does
(i.e., Norton Security Suite freebie, most likely from Comcast).

QED for Norton Support: Why would uninstalling Norton Security Suite resolve
the behavior (i.e., allow Windows to start after having installed KB978542)?

PS: If a given computer was already fully-patched, KB973354 would be
installed already (and if the user uninstalled KB978542, the file versions
in KB973354 would be restored by default).
--
~PA Bear

David_2010 wrote:
> It seems there was a confusion, my initial answer was meant for Neil.
> I was simply advising to try to firstly install the previous KB, then
> reboot the computer and then proceed to normal update process.
>
> I hope this can help
<PASTE>