From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Apr 10, 8:56 am, TJ <T...(a)noneofyour.business> wrote:
> On 04/09/2010 11:00 PM, Sidney Lambe wrote:
>
> > On alt.os.linux.slackware, j...(a)wexfordpress.com<j...(a)wexfordpress.com>  wrote:
> >> My reaction to KDE4 was so negative that after a decade or more of use
> >> of KDE I switched to XFCE. But others obviously have other views. So I
> >> ask the general question, what GUI do you currently run? And why?
>
> >> John Culleton
>
> John, I reply through Sid's post because I'm seeing it on
> comp.os.linux.misc, obviously *not* where you made your original post. I
> use KDE4, through Mandriva. I didn't care for KDE4 at first, either. The
> early version seemed buggy and clunky, and I didn't have the hardware to
> use it properly. But after boosting my RAM from 512MB to 2GB and getting
> a better video card, it was OK. The newer versions have smoothed out a
> lot of the things that annoyed me before, too. And like any new thing,
> it just plain took some getting used to.
>
> That said, it wouldn't break my heart if the folks that do KDE continued
> to develop a KDE3-like interface in parallel with KDE4, for those with
> lesser hardware who want to use it, or those who just like the old one
> better.

As we've found with other projects in the past, this is *very* painful
to do and can waste incredible amounts of effort backporting and
forward porting and generally duplicating work. In theory, it could be
forked, but the Qt/GPL licensing on it makes that trickier than it
would be for Gnome. For some idea of the amount of work, take a look
at the problems supporting KDE in a Gnome shop, or the problems of
supporting both Samba 3.x and the new 4.x code tree.

I've generally preferred to install Gnome, which is the RHEL and
Fedora default and started out with cleaner licensing, and install KDE
components as desired (such as Konqueror).
From: TJ on
> On Apr 10, 8:56 am, TJ<T...(a)noneofyour.business> wrote:

>> John, I reply through Sid's post because I'm seeing it on
>> comp.os.linux.misc, obviously *not* where you made your original post. I
>> use KDE4, through Mandriva. I didn't care for KDE4 at first, either. The
>> early version seemed buggy and clunky, and I didn't have the hardware to
>> use it properly. But after boosting my RAM from 512MB to 2GB and getting
>> a better video card, it was OK. The newer versions have smoothed out a
>> lot of the things that annoyed me before, too. And like any new thing,
>> it just plain took some getting used to.
>>
>> That said, it wouldn't break my heart if the folks that do KDE continued
>> to develop a KDE3-like interface in parallel with KDE4, for those with
>> lesser hardware who want to use it, or those who just like the old one
>> better.
>
> As we've found with other projects in the past, this is *very* painful
> to do and can waste incredible amounts of effort backporting and
> forward porting and generally duplicating work. In theory, it could be
> forked, but the Qt/GPL licensing on it makes that trickier than it
> would be for Gnome. For some idea of the amount of work, take a look
> at the problems supporting KDE in a Gnome shop, or the problems of
> supporting both Samba 3.x and the new 4.x code tree.
>
> I've generally preferred to install Gnome, which is the RHEL and
> Fedora default and started out with cleaner licensing, and install KDE
> components as desired (such as Konqueror).

<shrug> OK. It was just a thought. If it isn't worth the trouble, it
isn't worth the trouble.

I've pretty much always used Mandrake/Mandriva, and KDE is the default
there. I've used Gnome a time or two - didn't care for it, though I
could get used to it if necessary.

To each his own.

TJ
--
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.