From: Sidney Lambe on
On alt.os.linux.slackware, john(a)wexfordpress.com <john(a)wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> My reaction to KDE4 was so negative that after a decade or more of use
> of KDE I switched to XFCE. But others obviously have other views. So I
> ask the general question, what GUI do you currently run? And why?
>
> John Culleton

KDE/XFCE/Gnome are not "GUIs". They are GIDEs, Graphical Integrated
Desktop Environments that run _in_ a GUI. Lots of people run Linux
with a GUI and no GIDE. GIDEs are suites of graphical applications
and utilities.

GIDEs are enormous, 2 times the size of Linux with a GUI. And
they divorce the user from Linux: You end up learning the GIDE,
not Linux, and end up being dependent on technocrats who don't
know anything any real Linux runner knows.

Myself, I don't even use X. Yes, I can display and edit images
without X. I have a browser that displays images. I can read
PDF documents. And so on. My Slackware is incredibly efficient
and secure and fast and uses a tiny fraction of the system and
hardware resources that an OS with a GIDE uses. Yes, I have
a window manager and all that.

You are being suckered by a bunch of elitist technocrats in
the pockets of greedy corporations and Windows refugees,
both of whom are trying to turn Linux into a clone of
Linux and Linux runners into ignorant and dependent appliance
operators.

Sid

From: B Sellers on
Sidney Lambe wrote:
> On alt.os.linux.slackware, john(a)wexfordpress.com <john(a)wexfordpress.com> wrote:
>> My reaction to KDE4 was so negative that after a decade or more of use
>> of KDE I switched to XFCE. But others obviously have other views. So I
>> ask the general question, what GUI do you currently run? And why?
>>
>> John Culleton
>
> KDE/XFCE/Gnome are not "GUIs". They are GIDEs, Graphical Integrated
> Desktop Environments that run _in_ a GUI. Lots of people run Linux
> with a GUI and no GIDE. GIDEs are suites of graphical applications
> and utilities.
>
> GIDEs are enormous, 2 times the size of Linux with a GUI. And
> they divorce the user from Linux: You end up learning the GIDE,
> not Linux, and end up being dependent on technocrats who don't
> know anything any real Linux runner knows.
>
> Myself, I don't even use X. Yes, I can display and edit images
> without X. I have a browser that displays images. I can read
> PDF documents. And so on. My Slackware is incredibly efficient
> and secure and fast and uses a tiny fraction of the system and
> hardware resources that an OS with a GIDE uses. Yes, I have
> a window manager and all that.
>
> You are being suckered by a bunch of elitist technocrats in
> the pockets of greedy corporations and Windows refugees,
> both of whom are trying to turn Linux into a clone of
> Linux and Linux runners into ignorant and dependent appliance
> operators.
>
> Sid

Sidney is back, the elitist CLI advocate who doesn't really
care but just wants to argue. If I didn't have so much trouble
with typing(4th try to get the letter order in typing correct) I
might fall for his stuff.

later
bliss
From: Peter Köhlmann on
Sidney Lambe wrote:

< snip Alan Connor shite >

Give it up, Alan. Your idiotic trolls simply fail
--
It's not about, 'Where do you want to go today?' It's more like,
'Where am I allowed to go today?'

From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Apr 9, 11:00 pm, Sidney Lambe <sidneyla...(a)nospam.invalid> wrote:
> On alt.os.linux.slackware, j...(a)wexfordpress.com <j...(a)wexfordpress.com> wrote:
>
> > My reaction to KDE4 was so negative that after a decade or more of use
> > of KDE I switched to XFCE. But others obviously have other views. So I
> > ask the general question, what GUI do you currently run? And why?
>
> > John Culleton
>
> KDE/XFCE/Gnome are not "GUIs". They are GIDEs, Graphical Integrated
> Desktop Environments that run _in_ a GUI.  Lots of people run Linux
> with a GUI and no GIDE. GIDEs are suites of graphical applications
> and utilities.

Yes, and that steering wheel on your car? It's not a wheel, it's not
even touching the ground! How could it be a wheel if you can't fill it
with air and replace it when it goes flat? Language is defined by
usage: Gnome and KDE are commonly referred to as "GUI's". Move past
it.

For anyone new here, "Sidney" focuses harshly on GUI's as a source of
all evil, and unfortunately his technical advice falls..... short of
the mark for many other reasons. Take his advice with the respect he's
earned otherwise.
From: TJ on
On 04/09/2010 11:00 PM, Sidney Lambe wrote:
> On alt.os.linux.slackware, john(a)wexfordpress.com<john(a)wexfordpress.com> wrote:
>> My reaction to KDE4 was so negative that after a decade or more of use
>> of KDE I switched to XFCE. But others obviously have other views. So I
>> ask the general question, what GUI do you currently run? And why?
>>
>> John Culleton

John, I reply through Sid's post because I'm seeing it on
comp.os.linux.misc, obviously *not* where you made your original post. I
use KDE4, through Mandriva. I didn't care for KDE4 at first, either. The
early version seemed buggy and clunky, and I didn't have the hardware to
use it properly. But after boosting my RAM from 512MB to 2GB and getting
a better video card, it was OK. The newer versions have smoothed out a
lot of the things that annoyed me before, too. And like any new thing,
it just plain took some getting used to.

That said, it wouldn't break my heart if the folks that do KDE continued
to develop a KDE3-like interface in parallel with KDE4, for those with
lesser hardware who want to use it, or those who just like the old one
better.

> KDE/XFCE/Gnome are not "GUIs". They are GIDEs, Graphical Integrated
> Desktop Environments that run _in_ a GUI. Lots of people run Linux
> with a GUI and no GIDE. GIDEs are suites of graphical applications
> and utilities.

<snip useless rant>

You are *wrong* on many counts, Sid. "GUI" stands for "Graphical User
Interface." Such things can be complex like KDE, Gnome, XFCE, OS X, and
Windows - or simple, like those of several single programs. A "GUI"
might not be a "GIDE," but by definition a GIDE must be a GUI.

But of course you say you won't see this, since you have supposedly
killfiled me. You claim that I and hundreds of others are all that one
person who uses many pseudonyms to make it *look* like you're nuts.
Guess what? Your wrong about that, too. You reveal your paranoia with
every post, all by yourself. You need no help from us.

TJ
--
There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.