From: Gazza on
Firstly apologies if this is the incorrect forum but I was looking for
a general word forum and could not find one. Please point me to one if
one exists.

I am trying to create a form where I want to specify what items need
to be filled in. (Review minutes from design reviews). I want to make
certain fields mandatory like the date, attendees and check list used
and want to block saving of the document with a warning until they are
filled in. Is there a way of doing this?

Also as a part of the review actions are filled in to a table.
depending on how many actions there are the table may be large or
small so I really want to allow edits to the table so that rows can be
added or deleted and text can just be written to it. However when I
protect the form the table becomes locked unless I add fields to each
cell of the table. Is thee a way of stopping the table itself from
being locked when the document is protected?

Many thanks in advance.

Gary
From: Doug Robbins - Word MVP on
Running a macro containing the following code on exit from the last
formfield in the table will add a row to the table containing formfields in
each cell:

Dim rownum As Integer, i As Integer
With ActiveDocument
.Unprotect
.Tables(1).Rows.Add
rownum = .Tables(1).Rows.Count
For i = 1 To 3
.FormFields.Add Range:=.Tables(1).Cell(rownum, i).Range,
Type:=wdFieldFormTextInput
Next i
.FormFields.Add Range:=.Tables(1).Cell(rownum, 4).Range,
Type:=wdFieldFormDropDown
With .Tables(1).Cell(rownum, 4).Range.FormFields(1).DropDown.ListEntries
.Add "Item1"
.Add "Item2"
.Add "Item3"
.Add "Item4"
.Add "Item5"
End With
.FormFields.Add Range:=.Tables(1).Cell(rownum, 5).Range,
Type:=wdFieldFormDropDown
With .Tables(1).Cell(rownum, 5).Range.FormFields(1).DropDown.ListEntries
.Add "ItemA"
.Add "ItemB"
.Add "ItemC"
.Add "ItemD"
.Add "ItemE"
End With
.Tables(1).Cell(rownum, 5).Range.FormFields(1).ExitMacro = "addrow"
.Tables(1).Cell(rownum, 1).Range.FormFields(1).Select
.Protect Type:=wdAllowOnlyFormFields, NoReset:=True
End With

The macro as set up is for a five column table and it inserts Text
FormFields into the first three cells of the new row and DropDown FormField
in each of the fourth and fifth columns. Modify the code for your
circumstances.

For dealing with the requirement that the formfields be completed, see the
article "How to validate the contents of a formfield in a Word form" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/ValidateFFields.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

From: Graham Mayor on
If the document is to allow free editing then a protected form is not the
answer. Use instead a userform to gather and validate the data and build the
table - For the basics, see Word MVP FAQ - Userforms
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms.htm

for a more in depth explanation, see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Create_and_employ_a_UserForm.htm

However it is certainly possible to validate form fields -
http://www.gmayor.com/formfieldmacros.htm and it is also possible to add
rows to a protected table (I would suggest not removing rows from a table as
that adds unnecessarily to the complexity) and there are examples of code to
do that at http://www.gmayor.com/word_vba_examples.htm

--
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com