From: Brian Wallace on
A few questions. All of them pretty simple and stupid, I guess. It's tough being the only SAS programmer in a company of three hundred, though.

I have a field with a a value: 0.570

Using PC SAS, when printed to the output window it's 0.570.

When output to a pdf file it's 0.570

However, viewing the SAS data set in the old SAS System Viewer, the new SAS Universal Viewer and viewing it as a table from the "Results" window, it gives me: 0.57

I working with a client who can only view the delivered data set through a SAS viewer and when HE looks at the field he is saying "That's only to two decimal points of precision, we asked for three." I may have even asked this before. Is there any way you can retain the trailing zeroes in the various SAS viewers? I know that SAS sees 0.570 and 0.57 as the exact same thing but that doesn't help me.

When dealing with a SAS data set you can view it in different ways. Is the output window the "truest" version of the data set? The Results Table view is just a glorified SAS viewer, right?

Formating doesn't help and I thought I could write a picture format but '0000.009' creates a mess.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Two unrelated questions:

1.) Are there some formats that the SAS Universal Viewer will display but the SAS System viewer will not? I'm specifically thinking of the ISO CDISC formats.

2.) Is this a true statement: If you are reading in numeric values, some with decimal points and some without, using a .d for the informat value is just asking for trouble since SAS will ignore it. Will SAS ignore it record by record or only if the first value it reads has a decimel?

Very sorry for all of the questions. Most probably don't make sense. Stressful day. I hope everyone is well.

Thank you,

Brian Wallace