From: Van Chocstraw on
C header files matching your running kernel were not found. Refer to
your distribution's documentation for installation instructions

I get this when trying to finish the install of VMware Player. There are
many directories with header files. I have directed it to every
directory with .h files on the system. What is trying to tell me?
From: Lew Pitcher on
On December 23, 2009 14:22, in alt.os.linux.suse,
boobooililililil(a)roadrunner.com wrote:

> C header files matching your running kernel were not found. Refer to
> your distribution's documentation for installation instructions
>
> I get this when trying to finish the install of VMware Player. There are
> many directories with header files. I have directed it to every
> directory with .h files on the system. What is trying to tell me?

It's trying to tell you that you don't have a set of .h files that it
expects to find. It is likely looking for .h files in /usr/include/linux,
or one of the other places that "kernel header" files are stored.

Have you installed the kernel headers package?

--
Lew Pitcher

From: David Bolt on
On Wednesday 23 Dec 2009 20:19, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
Lew Pitcher painted this mural:

> It's trying to tell you that you don't have a set of .h files that it
> expects to find. It is likely looking for .h files in /usr/include/linux,
> or one of the other places that "kernel header" files are stored.
>
> Have you installed the kernel headers package?

Not with the error message the OP posted. He needs to install the
package linux-kernel-headers to get them. And, for 11.2 at least,
you'll need to install the kernel devel packages if you want/need
to build kernel modules. Installing the package kernel-syms will
pull in the required devel packages.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net OGR-NG @ ~100Mnodes RC5-72 @ ~1Mkeys/s
openSUSE 11.0 32b | | openSUSE 11.2 32b |
From: Van Chocstraw on
On 12/23/2009 05:46 PM, David Bolt wrote:
> On Wednesday 23 Dec 2009 20:19, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
> Lew Pitcher painted this mural:
>
>> It's trying to tell you that you don't have a set of .h files that it
>> expects to find. It is likely looking for .h files in /usr/include/linux,
>> or one of the other places that "kernel header" files are stored.
>>
>> Have you installed the kernel headers package?
>
> Not with the error message the OP posted. He needs to install the
> package linux-kernel-headers to get them. And, for 11.2 at least,
> you'll need to install the kernel devel packages if you want/need
> to build kernel modules. Installing the package kernel-syms will
> pull in the required devel packages.
>

> Regards,
> David Bolt

Success. Downloaded the source and development packages. VMware compiled
the required modules and loaded just fine.

Thanks.
From: Van Chocstraw on
central wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 18:40:03 -0500, Van Chocstraw wrote:
> <snip>
>

>> Success. Downloaded the source and development packages. VMware compiled
>> the required modules and loaded just fine.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> so, a follow up (as I'm having vmware problems): did vmware-config run
> OK, or do you still have problems? If its all OK, can you tell me exactly
> which version of VM you are using as I'll try?
> TIA

I have the latest version 3. bundle. It's all automatic config and
module building.