From: Mark Pearson on
Hi,

Some while ago I persuaded a friend to try Linux (Kubuntu 6.06LTS) which
has been going reasonable well apart from the learning curve & a few
hardware annoyances. Until now. The machine in question started to
mis-behave with random lockups etc which didn't seem to occur in windows
at first but now the problem appears terminal in either os. Anyway the
machine now seems kaput from what he tells me. Before it 'died' he managed
to copy the following from the screen:

[17180089.284000] <0> KERNEL PANIC - NOT SYNCING: FATAL EXCEPTION IN INTERRUPT [17180089.580000] _
Hard lock up here requiring Off switch.

At the same time the printer spit out the following: INTERNAL ERROR -
Incomplete Session by time out
POSITION : 0x 24959e (2397598)
SYSTEM : H6FWSIM/os_hook
LINE : 1314
VERSION : QDPL 1.26 04-14-2005

Motherboard is MSI MS-6378 ver3
Processor AMD Athlon XP, 1400 MHz (10.5 x 133) 1600+
1015mb pc133 SDRAM

My friends asking me if I've got a clue from the above as to what's wrong
with it. I don't. Anyone?

I suspect duff ram & or m/b due to its rapid deterioration.

--
Best rgds,
Mark

From: Geoffrey Clements on

"Mark Pearson" <mark(a)somefalseemailaddress.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Some while ago I persuaded a friend to try Linux (Kubuntu 6.06LTS) which
> has been going reasonable well apart from the learning curve & a few
> hardware annoyances. Until now. The machine in question started to
> mis-behave with random lockups etc which didn't seem to occur in windows
> at first but now the problem appears terminal in either os. Anyway the
> machine now seems kaput from what he tells me. Before it 'died' he managed
> to copy the following from the screen:
>
> [17180089.284000] <0> KERNEL PANIC - NOT SYNCING: FATAL EXCEPTION IN
> INTERRUPT [17180089.580000] _
> Hard lock up here requiring Off switch.
>
> At the same time the printer spit out the following: INTERNAL ERROR -
> Incomplete Session by time out
> POSITION : 0x 24959e (2397598)
> SYSTEM : H6FWSIM/os_hook
> LINE : 1314
> VERSION : QDPL 1.26 04-14-2005
>
> Motherboard is MSI MS-6378 ver3
> Processor AMD Athlon XP, 1400 MHz (10.5 x 133) 1600+
> 1015mb pc133 SDRAM
>
> My friends asking me if I've got a clue from the above as to what's wrong
> with it. I don't. Anyone?
>
> I suspect duff ram & or m/b due to its rapid deterioration.

Me too, or it could be poor cooling. I would have expected some more error
messages before the "not syncing" one which may give more of a clue. RAM
can be tested with the memtest86 utility, temperatures can be measured with
the lm_sensors package or within the BIOS pages (probably).

--
Geoff

From: Chris on
Mark Pearson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some while ago I persuaded a friend to try Linux (Kubuntu 6.06LTS)
> which has been going reasonable well apart from the learning curve & a
> few hardware annoyances. Until now. The machine in question started to
> mis-behave with random lockups etc which didn't seem to occur in
> windows at first but now the problem appears terminal in either os.
> Anyway the machine now seems kaput from what he tells me. Before it
> 'died' he managed to copy the following from the screen:
>
> [17180089.284000] <0> KERNEL PANIC - NOT SYNCING: FATAL EXCEPTION IN
> [INTERRUPT [17180089.580000] _
> Hard lock up here requiring Off switch.
>
> At the same time the printer spit out the following: INTERNAL ERROR -
> Incomplete Session by time out
> POSITION : 0x 24959e (2397598)
> SYSTEM : H6FWSIM/os_hook
> LINE : 1314
> VERSION : QDPL 1.26 04-14-2005
>
> Motherboard is MSI MS-6378 ver3
> Processor AMD Athlon XP, 1400 MHz (10.5 x 133) 1600+
> 1015mb pc133 SDRAM
>
> My friends asking me if I've got a clue from the above as to what's
> wrong with it. I don't. Anyone?
>
> I suspect duff ram & or m/b due to its rapid deterioration.

Looks like an old machine. Could be almost anything :( Have a look a
the capacitors on the mobo and see if any are bulging or leaking. Or
the PSU could be dying. Basically, take anything out that isn't
necessary and swap out all the components one at a time to see which
fails...good luck ;-)
From: Mark Pearson on
Update.

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 17:10:49 +0000, Chris wrote:

> Looks like an old machine. Could be almost anything :( Have a look a the
> capacitors on the mobo and see if any are bulging or leaking. Or the PSU

The mobo appears OK, nothing nasty looking.

> could be dying. Basically, take anything out that isn't necessary and

Yes, I suggested the psu too which has since been confirmed to be OK.

> swap out all the components one at a time to see which fails...good luck ;-)

Looks like the mobo has failed unfortunately.
Now he's tasked with finding another mobo which will accept the recently
bought 1GB of PC133 SDRAM & cpu.

Thanks for your suggestions anyhow.

--
Best rgds,