From: nickravo on
I have to do a 30-40 slide presentation. 1) I've always used
Powerpoint in the past and despise it. Should I give KeyNote a shot?
Caveats? Differences? Pros and cons? 2) I want to go wireless but the
room I will be in has iffy WiFi How can I still do this? I use a
MacBook. 3) I want to show a couple YouTube Videos as part of the
slideshow. How can I do this seamlessly? Do Apple Stores (in Sydney)
offer courses KeyNote? Thanks in advance.
From: AES on
In article
<9f54d265-0761-4fdc-9098-5bc4351a9b92(a)m35g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,
"nickravo(a)gmail.com" <nickravo(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I have to do a 30-40 slide presentation. 1) I've always used
> Powerpoint in the past and despise it. Should I give KeyNote a shot?
> Caveats?

Another and in some ways better alternative, IF you have or are willing
to get the necessary tools: just do it all with PDF files.

* Generate individual slides as separate single-page PDF files, by
exporting or printing from whatever apps you have that create the raw
material for the individual slides.

* Then edit or touch up these individual slides (or create additional
slides from scratch) using Adobe Illustrator, or whatever equivalent app
you may have. (Note that you can import, i.e. "Place", all kinds of
graphics and other media, including jpegs, tiffs, giffs, other PDFs,
into individual slides, and resize them very readily, using Illustrator
or an equivalent program.)

* When all is well with the individual slides, merge them into a single
multi-page PDF presentation using Acrobat or various freeware tools.

* Do the presentation using either Acrobat or just Reader -- both are
excellent presentation tools, and available on almost any machine you
will encounter.

May require a bit of initial learning, but the whole process works great
once you get a little experience with it. And, my experience is that
Acrobat or Reader are really superb in making a maximally sharp and
clear presentation of any kind of media that you stuff into the
individual PDFs, even after resizing.
From: TaliesinSoft on
On 2010-07-31 13:49:31 -0700, nickravo(a)gmail.com said:

> I have to do a 30-40 slide presentation. 1) I've always used
> Powerpoint in the past and despise it. Should I give KeyNote a shot?
> Caveats? Differences? Pros and cons? 2) I want to go wireless but the
> room I will be in has iffy WiFi How can I still do this? I use a
> MacBook. 3) I want to show a couple YouTube Videos as part of the
> slideshow. How can I do this seamlessly? Do Apple Stores (in Sydney)
> offer courses KeyNote? Thanks in advance.

I've yet to find a person who doesn't feel that Keynote is massively
superior to PowerPoint when it comes to producing a slideshow. And as
for learning Keynote, Peachpit Press produces an excellent book,
'iWork '09" which includes a DVD full of lessons. This book should be
available at your Apple store.

--
James Leo Ryan - Austin, Texas

From: Mac Dude on
In article <9f54d265-0761-4fdc-9098-5bc4351a9b92(a)m35g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,
"nickravo(a)gmail.com" <nickravo(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I have to do a 30-40 slide presentation. 1) I've always used
> Powerpoint in the past and despise it. Should I give KeyNote a shot?
> Caveats? Differences? Pros and cons? 2) I want to go wireless but the
> room I will be in has iffy WiFi How can I still do this? I use a
> MacBook. 3) I want to show a couple YouTube Videos as part of the
> slideshow. How can I do this seamlessly? Do Apple Stores (in Sydney)
> offer courses KeyNote? Thanks in advance.

If it is an important presentation (and at your length I would assume it is) I
would stick to what you know. Keynote is a bit different than PowerPoint. Last
thing you need is a problem when giving your talk.

Personally, I stick with PowerPoint 2004. I find it much more efficient to work
with than Keynote (from iWork 09). E.g. in ppt I can get a background fill in
most imported graphics, in Keynote I need to underlay a rectangle (or whatever
the shape may be). I also find Keynote not particularly snappy compared to ppt.
To a certain extent this is of course the result of long experience with ppt and
little with Keynote. But I find it not compelling to switch.

You can import movies into ppt. I have found it difficult at times to get them
to run, though.

Mac Dude.