From: Rich Gray on
Howard S Shubs wrote:
> In article<everyday-E4D1FE.14273630072010(a)mx01.eternal-september.org>,
> Gerry<everyday(a)sunrise.net> wrote:
>
>> I have used eyeTV from<www.elgato.com>, you can record the VCR program
>> to your hard disk then edit out any unwanted portions, and it can then
>> be exported in a variety of formats or burned to DVD using Toast.
>
> That sounds like what I'm looking for.<looks on NewEgg> Ah, there's
> two. One's a HD DVR, no... the TV Tuner one for $110? This allows you
> to record?

Other World Computing has refurbished 2009 Hybrids for $100 which
support TV & FM tuners as well as the AV inputs you need. EyeTV
software can do a whole bunch of things:

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/ElGato/10020974R/ :

# Watch TV on your Mac. Read the article. [Somewhat dated...
<http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/Framework.cfm?page=/Tips/dvr/dvr.html&source=tndnv14qt>
]
# Rewind, fast forward, and pause live TV.
# Search two weeks of Program Guide data supplied by TV Guide.
Includes one year of free TV Guide data, which can be renewed
for only $19.95 per year.
# Record hours of television and edit out unwanted content.
# Record an entire season with Smart Series Guides.
# Organize recordings in Smart Playlists.
# Export recordings into iTunes in one easy step & sync automatically.
# Share recordings with multiple Macs in a local network.
# Access recordings via Wi-Fi on an iPod�, and iPhone� and
selected SmartPhones. [There's an app...]
# Store your recordings on an external drive, or burn to disc
using Toast� Basic (included).
# Enable family-friendly viewing with Parental Controls.

The 2008 Hybrid I bought from OWC has worked well for me on my MBP.

- Rich
From: Howard S Shubs on
In article <8bjpfaF3f6U1(a)mid.individual.net>,
Rich Gray <devnull(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote:

> Other World Computing has refurbished 2009 Hybrids for $100 which
> support TV & FM tuners as well as the AV inputs you need. EyeTV
> software can do a whole bunch of things:

That's a 2009? I thought it was the newest version! Oh well, ordered
it from them yesterday and it should work fine for $40 less than the
price Amazon wanted.

--
May all your good dreams and fine wishes come true! - The Wizard
May joy be yours all the days of your life! - Phina