From: Brian Gregory [UK] on
What happened to Microsoft Knowledgebase ??

When I search on the page that now comes up when I use my old Knowledgebase
bookmark all I get are pages from discussion groups.

I do not want to have to sift through long discussions about what the answer
to my problem might be, I just want the answer in the form of a
knowledgebase article.

Where are the knowledgebase articles?

--

Brian Gregory. (In the UK)
ng(a)bgdsv.co.uk

From: Bruce Chambers on
Brian Gregory [UK] wrote:
> What happened to Microsoft Knowledgebase ??
>
> When I search on the page that now comes up when I use my old Knowledgebase
> bookmark all I get are pages from discussion groups.
>
> I do not want to have to sift through long discussions about what the answer
> to my problem might be, I just want the answer in the form of a
> knowledgebase article.
>
> Where are the knowledgebase articles?

Knowledge Base Advanced Search

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
From: Brian Gregory [UK] on
"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers(a)cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
> Brian Gregory [UK] wrote:
>> What happened to Microsoft Knowledgebase ??
>>
>> When I search on the page that now comes up when I use my old
>> Knowledgebase bookmark all I get are pages from discussion groups.
>>
>> I do not want to have to sift through long discussions about what the
>> answer to my problem might be, I just want the answer in the form of a
>> knowledgebase article.
>>
>> Where are the knowledgebase articles?
>>

> Knowledge Base Advanced Search

That's what I was using.

I can see no way to stop it producing millions of results from discussion
groups and only show me knowledgebase articles.

From: Twayne on
In news:wJOdnYa_k8gYImzWnZ2dnUVZ8tqdnZ2d(a)pipex.net,
Brian Gregory [UK] <ng(a)bgdsv.co.uk> typed:
> What happened to Microsoft Knowledgebase ??
>
> When I search on the page that now comes up when I use my
> old Knowledgebase bookmark all I get are pages from
> discussion groups.
> I do not want to have to sift through long discussions
> about what the answer to my problem might be, I just want
> the answer in the form of a knowledgebase article.
>
> Where are the knowledgebase articles?

Hmm, same here; they've rearranged again. Go to Google and type into the
box the following:

microsoft know

Knowledge Base Advanced Search

How to query the Microsoft Knowledge Base by using keywords and query words:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/242450

It should show you several possibilities for microsoft knowledgebase, one of
which is XP.
http://www.google.com/search?q=microsoft+knowledge+base+xp&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7ADRA_en
which is a search results page with a lot of information, plus there is:

http://search.microsoft.com/results.aspx?form=MSHOME&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&q=knowledge+base
which lists a lot of things in links,

Still seems to work as well as it ever did; just a different look, I guess.

HTH,

Twayne`

From: John Wunderlich on
"Brian Gregory [UK]" <ng(a)bgdsv.co.uk> wrote in

> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers(a)cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
>> Brian Gregory [UK] wrote:
>>> What happened to Microsoft Knowledgebase ??
>>>
>>> When I search on the page that now comes up when I use my old
>>> Knowledgebase bookmark all I get are pages from discussion
>>> groups.
>>>
>>> I do not want to have to sift through long discussions about
>>> what the answer to my problem might be, I just want the answer
>>> in the form of a knowledgebase article.
>>>
>>> Where are the knowledgebase articles?
>>>

>> Knowledge Base Advanced Search
>> http://support.microsoft.com/search/?adv=1
>
> That's what I was using.
>
> I can see no way to stop it producing millions of results from
> discussion groups and only show me knowledgebase articles.

You know, personally I've never liked the Microsoft Search engine.
Plus the fact they change things around way too much without sufficient
benefit.

Try this -- it works really well...

Bring up the Google Search page at google.com

Then enter your search words, along with your OS (e.g. "XP") then
finish the line with "site:microsoft.com/kb"

So your Google search might look like this:

system registry cannot boot xp site:microsoft.com/kb

IMHO, this is much more productive.

HTH,
John