From: houghi on
I have a LFS over two drives and get the following error when I want to
mount it:
root(a)penne : mount /media/backup/
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/system/LVM,
missing codepage or other error
dmesg | tail or so

The latter giives me:
May 14 23:30:08 penne kernel: ReiserFS: dm-0: found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
May 14 23:30:08 penne kernel: ReiserFS: dm-0: using ordered data mode
May 14 23:30:08 penne kernel: reiserfs: using flush barriers
May 14 23:30:09 penne kernel: hdf: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
May 14 23:30:09 penne kernel: hdf: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=62992674, high=3, low=12661026, sector=62992669
May 14 23:30:09 penne kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
May 14 23:30:09 penne kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev hdf, sector 62992669
May 14 23:30:09 penne kernel: ReiserFS: dm-0: warning: sh-459: unable to read journal header
May 14 23:30:09 penne kernel: ReiserFS: dm-0: warning: sh-2022: reiserfs_fill_super: unable to initialize journal space

As this is over two drives and LVM, what should I do to solve this? What I have tries is the following and their results:
<quote>
root(a)penne : fsck /dev/hde2
fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
fsck: fsck.LVM2_member: not found
fsck: Error 2 while executing fsck.LVM2_member for /dev/hde2
root(a)penne : fsck /dev/hdf3
fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
fsck: fsck.LVM2_member: not found
fsck: Error 2 while executing fsck.LVM2_member for /dev/hdf3
root(a)penne : fsck /media/backup/
fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
fsck.ext2: Is a directory while trying to open /media/backup/

filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

fsck.ext2 /media/backup/ failed (status 0x8). Run manually!
<end quote>

Well, I do not know how to run it. reiserfsck does not seem to do any
good either. :-(

Any ideas are welcome.It is only my backup, but I still would hate to
see it go and would think I could solve it somehow, without destroying
the data.

houghi
--
You are about to enter another dimension, a dimension not only of
sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land of
From: Ram on
houghi wrote:
> I have a LFS over two drives and get the following error when I want to
> mount it:
> root(a)penne : mount /media/backup/
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/system/LVM,
> missing codepage or other error
> In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
> dmesg | tail or so
>
> The latter giives me:
> May 14 23:30:08 penne kernel: ReiserFS: dm-0: found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
> May 14 23:30:08 penne kernel: ReiserFS: dm-0: using ordered data mode
> May 14 23:30:08 penne kernel: reiserfs: using flush barriers
> May 14 23:30:09 penne kernel: hdf: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> May 14 23:30:09 penne kernel: hdf: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=62992674, high=3, low=12661026, sector=62992669
> May 14 23:30:09 penne kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> May 14 23:30:09 penne kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev hdf, sector 62992669
> May 14 23:30:09 penne kernel: ReiserFS: dm-0: warning: sh-459: unable to read journal header
> May 14 23:30:09 penne kernel: ReiserFS: dm-0: warning: sh-2022: reiserfs_fill_super: unable to initialize journal space
>
> As this is over two drives and LVM, what should I do to solve this? What I have tries is the following and their results:
> <quote>
> root(a)penne : fsck /dev/hde2
> fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
> fsck: fsck.LVM2_member: not found
> fsck: Error 2 while executing fsck.LVM2_member for /dev/hde2
> root(a)penne : fsck /dev/hdf3
> fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
> fsck: fsck.LVM2_member: not found
> fsck: Error 2 while executing fsck.LVM2_member for /dev/hdf3
> root(a)penne : fsck /media/backup/
> fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
> e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
> fsck.ext2: Is a directory while trying to open /media/backup/
>
> The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
> filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
> filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
> is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
> e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
>
> fsck.ext2 /media/backup/ failed (status 0x8). Run manually!
> <end quote>
>
> Well, I do not know how to run it. reiserfsck does not seem to do any
> good either. :-(
>
> Any ideas are welcome.It is only my backup, but I still would hate to
> see it go and would think I could solve it somehow, without destroying
> the data.
>

> houghi

Give testdisk a try.

Ram
From: houghi on
Ram wrote:
> Give testdisk a try.

root(a)penne : testdisk
-bash: testdisk: command not found

and neither YaST nor pin has it.

houghi
From: Ram on
houghi wrote:
> Ram wrote:
>> Give testdisk a try.
>
> root(a)penne : testdisk
> -bash: testdisk: command not found
>
> and neither YaST nor pin has it.
>
> houghi

Correct if you have not installed it.

Wasn't feeling to well last night so here you go.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Ram

From: houghi on
Ram wrote:
> houghi wrote:
>> Ram wrote:
>>> Give testdisk a try.
>>
>> root(a)penne : testdisk
>> -bash: testdisk: command not found
>>
>> and neither YaST nor pin has it.
>>
>> houghi
>
> Correct if you have not installed it.
>
> Wasn't feeling to well last night so here you go.
>
> http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

Doesn't seem to do anything. Apparently I need to do the following:
However there I get:

Do you want to run this program?[N/Yes] (note need to type Yes if you
do):Yes

The problem has occurred looks like a hardware problem. If you have bad
blocks, we advise you to get a new hard drive, because once you get one
bad block that the disk drive internals cannot hide from your
sight,the chances of getting more are generally said to become much
higher (precise statistics are unknown to us), and this disk drive is
probably not expensive enough for you to you to risk your time and
data on it. If you don't want to follow that follow that advice then
if you have just a few bad blocks, try writing to the bad blocks and
see if the drive remaps the bad blocks (that means it takes a block it
has in reserve and allocates it for use for of that block number).
If it cannot remap the block, use badblock option (-B) with reiserfs
utils to handle this block correctly.

bread: Cannot read the block (8210): (Input/output error).

Warning... fsck.reiserfs for device /dev/system/LVM exited with signal
6. fsck.reiserfs /dev/system/LVM failed (status 0x8). Run manually!
</quote>

I do not believe it to be a hardwrae problem, but I also do not know how
to run it manualy, even after reading up on the manpages.

houghi
--
From the day the male foetus' hands grow long enough to grasp at their 'third
leg', until the man in question is dead and buried, the penis is a constant