From: Armando on
Hi,
I need some clarifications about LGPL and New BSD licenses.
By using QT free license (LGPL 2.1) I know I can distribute my program
as an executable and so as closed source. Am I right?
However I can only dynamically link the QT libraries used by my program.
Right?
Does it mean any user who executes my program has to download QT to
execute my program? Or can I distribute also the QT object files
required by my program?
If my program makes also use of other libraries under New BSD license,
what changes?

Thank You!
Armando
From: BGB / cr88192 on

"Armando" <a.b(a)c.it> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I need some clarifications about LGPL and New BSD licenses.
> By using QT free license (LGPL 2.1) I know I can distribute my program
> as an executable and so as closed source. Am I right?
> However I can only dynamically link the QT libraries used by my program.
> Right?
> Does it mean any user who executes my program has to download QT to
> execute my program? Or can I distribute also the QT object files
> required by my program?
> If my program makes also use of other libraries under New BSD license,
> what changes?

LGPL requires releasing the source for the LGPL'ed library and any changes
made to this library, and if one is using the library, ideally they provide
a link back to where the sources can be gotten.

AFAIK, one is also supposed to be able to rebuild the library and use it
with the pre-existing app (although AFAIK this is not specified until
GPLv3).

however, it is allowed to not release the source for other parts of the app
(unlike the full GPL, which would require releasing all app sources).

distributing apps in binary form is not a problem with either the LGPL or
GPL, provided sources are made available as well...

using BSD sources should not make any issue with a GPL'ed or LGPL'ed project
AFAIK.

maybe others can provide clarifications or corrections, as I forget a lot of
the details...

From: Armando on
On 05/25/2010 11:44 PM, BGB / cr88192 wrote:
> LGPL requires releasing the source for the LGPL'ed library and any changes
> made to this library, and if one is using the library, ideally they provide
> a link back to where the sources can be gotten.

I don't mean to allow the user to know the source code of my exe...

I simply use some QT libraries (without any modification).
So I think I can simply:
1. make the exe by *dinamically* linking the required QT libraries
2. copy the QT .dll required by my exe file and distribute them together
with the exe.
3. show a message when the program starts to provide a link to QT
sources or to notify about the use of QT libraries...

So the user can download QT sources, (modify and) compile some QT
libraries and use them in place of the one distributed by myself as dll
and try to execute my program with updated libraries...

Am I right?

Thank You again!
Armando
From: BGB / cr88192 on

> On 05/25/2010 11:44 PM, BGB / cr88192 wrote:
>> LGPL requires releasing the source for the LGPL'ed library and any
>> changes
>> made to this library, and if one is using the library, ideally they
>> provide
>> a link back to where the sources can be gotten.
>
> I don't mean to allow the user to know the source code of my exe...
>
> I simply use some QT libraries (without any modification).
> So I think I can simply:
> 1. make the exe by *dinamically* linking the required QT libraries
> 2. copy the QT .dll required by my exe file and distribute them together
> with the exe.
> 3. show a message when the program starts to provide a link to QT
> sources or to notify about the use of QT libraries...
>
> So the user can download QT sources, (modify and) compile some QT
> libraries and use them in place of the one distributed by myself as dll
> and try to execute my program with updated libraries...
>
> Am I right?

with LGPL, this should be fine.

just, be careful not to use any full GPL source (or at least, GPL source
absent the library clause) and do this...