From: murphyw on
a. KB922120 indicated it had successfully installed but the LLTD Responderis
not shown in Local Area Network Properties. How can I fix this problem so I
can network this XP computer with my new Vista computer?

b. I used the instructions at the following link:
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/409fb2fa-8eb8-45af-b063-4f50f5a77b291033.mspx?mfr=true

c. The following instructions from the above link tell how to verify if LLTD
Responder is running, but do not give a steps to follow if LLTD responder is
not running.

You can verify that the LLTD Responder is successfully installed and running.
To verify the LLTD Responder is installed and running
1. On a computer running Windows XP click Start, click Control Panel, and
then click Network Connections.
2. Click Local Area Network Connection, click Properties, and then view the
list of items used by the network connection.
3. Ensure that the Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder check box is
selected.

d. I deleted and reinstalled the "GVC-REALTEK Ethernet 10/100 PCI Adapter
#2" and updated its driver but the problem was not resolved.

From: Steve Winograd [MVP] on
In article <CD80A27E-7289-4629-A78D-F09F9730FC48(a)microsoft.com>,
murphyw <murphyw(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>a. KB922120 indicated it had successfully installed but the LLTD Responderis
>not shown in Local Area Network Properties. How can I fix this problem so I
>can network this XP computer with my new Vista computer?
>
>b. I used the instructions at the following link:
>http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/409fb2fa-8eb8-45af-b063-4f50f5a77b291033.mspx?mfr=true
>
>c. The following instructions from the above link tell how to verify if LLTD
>Responder is running, but do not give a steps to follow if LLTD responder is
>not running.
>
>You can verify that the LLTD Responder is successfully installed and running.
>To verify the LLTD Responder is installed and running
>1. On a computer running Windows XP click Start, click Control Panel, and
>then click Network Connections.
>2. Click Local Area Network Connection, click Properties, and then view the
>list of items used by the network connection.
>3. Ensure that the Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder check box is
>selected.
>
>d. I deleted and reinstalled the "GVC-REALTEK Ethernet 10/100 PCI Adapter
>#2" and updated its driver but the problem was not resolved.

I'm sorry, but I don't know why the LLTD Responder doesn't appear in
your LAN properties.

However, you don't have to install the LLTD Responder to network XP
with Vista. XP and Vista can access each other's shared disks and
folders without installing it.

The XP computer will appear on Vista (in Control Panel > Network and
Sharing Center > View computers and devices) without installing it.

You can access XP's shared disks and folders directly from Vista by
typing the XP computer's name in Vista's "Start Search" box in this
format:

\\computer

All that installing the LLTD responder does is cause XP to appear in
Vista's "Network Map".
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
From: murphyw on
Steve,

Thank you for your assistance. I tried your suggestions but they did not
work. I described what happened below. The only connectivity I have between
the XP and Vista computer is via the "Windows Easy Transfer" application. Do
you have any more suggestions?

* The XP computer does not appear on Vista (in Control Panel > Network and
> Sharing Center > View computers and devices).
* Typing the XP computer's name in Vista's "Start Search" box in this
format: \\MyXPComputerName does not provide access to XP's shared disks
and folders directly from Vista. Instead, it returns a Network Error Dialog
indicating Windows cannot access \\MyXPComputerName (Error Code 0x80070035,
the network path was not found.

I initially had problems with my Vista computer being unable to access the
Internet when connected to my Vonage router (it always connected properly
when connected directly to the cable modem) and with technical support from
Vonage entered a static IP address and DNS to correct that problem.

Thanks,

Bill

From: Steve Winograd [MVP] on
In article <6AE701D6-C21C-45A8-BAA5-A622FCE12453(a)microsoft.com>,
> [...]
>the XP and Vista computer is via the "Windows Easy Transfer" application. Do
>you have any more suggestions?
>
>* The XP computer does not appear on Vista (in Control Panel > Network and
>> Sharing Center > View computers and devices).
>* Typing the XP computer's name in Vista's "Start Search" box in this
>format: \\MyXPComputerName does not provide access to XP's shared disks
>and folders directly from Vista. Instead, it returns a Network Error Dialog
>indicating Windows cannot access \\MyXPComputerName (Error Code 0x80070035,
>the network path was not found.
>
>I initially had problems with my Vista computer being unable to access the
>Internet when connected to my Vonage router (it always connected properly
>when connected directly to the cable modem) and with technical support from
>Vonage entered a static IP address and DNS to correct that problem.

You're welcome, Bill. Here are some things to try:

1. Make sure that XP and Vista have IP addresses in the same subnet.
For a home broadband router, that subnet is often 192.168.0.x or
192.168.1.x.

2. Make sure that neither computer is running more than one firewall.
The Windows Security Center gives firewall information.

3. Configure any firewall to allow access by other computers on the
local area network. Note that some recent antivirus programs, such as
Norton Antivirus 2006, have firewall components that have to be
configured.

4. Confirm that TCP/IP communication is working between the computers
by pinging each one from the other one, using both IP address and
computer name. For example:

ping 192.168.1.101
ping MyXpComputerName

5, Follow the steps shown here to configure file and printer sharing
on Vista:

File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista

From: murphyw on
Steve,

Thank you again. The connectivity problem is resolved. Fixing the firewall
issue allowed me to ping and search. I also moved both computers into the
same network Workgroup which allowed the XP computer to appear on Vista (in
Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > View computers and devices)
without installing LLTD on the XP computer.

Regards,

Bill