From: corys on
As stated above, your question is vague, and we could really use some more details as to what you're looking for. In short, though: Yes, there are non-NI devices which may be used with LabVIEW, both in writing device drivers and for use in written applications.
From: timothy_js on
Hi... I think I have the same problem..... I'm building a data acquisition system for my final project... I'm not using any of NI hardware... I have to build from the scratch.... Actually i'm thinking of using USB interface, but i think it would be more difficult to do (due to driver problem).... Is it possible to build a system / hardware and control it with LabView using serial interface?
From: Aashish_M on
Hey Timothy,

If you can be more specific as to what hardware you are trying to control, we could help you a lot more!!

There are some pre-made drivers that 3rd party companies and partly NI have developed. This can be found in the <a href="http://www.ni.com/devzone/idnet/" target="_blank">Instrument Driver Network</a>.
&nbsp;
As for instruments that have no pre-made LabVIEW drivers, please refer to the&nbsp;<a href="http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4478" target="_blank">USB Instrument Control Tutorial</a>&nbsp;and&nbsp;<a href="http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/2897" target="_blank">Serial Instrument Control Tutorial</a>.
&nbsp;
Hopefully this helps!!
From: timothy_js on
Hi Aashish_M,&nbsp;thanks for the attention, and yes, this helps a lot!!&nbsp;I'm going to control 8 digital inputs, 8 digital outputs, 8 8-bit ADCs, and 2 8-bit DACs.... it's going to be a simple data acquisition module, with a limited speed and limited functionality.... the inputs and outputs must be controlled simultaneously..&nbsp;i'm thinking having a single microcontroller (ATMega64) to act as a main controller.... the uC then communicate with the computer (LabVIEW) through serial or USB....&nbsp;any idea?&nbsp;many thanks,Timothy&nbsp;
From: Aashish_M on
Hey Timothy,&nbsp;I have never used this controller before.Has&nbsp;the uController already been&nbsp;programmed?&nbsp;You'll need to look through the <a href="http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4478" target="_blank"> USB Instrument Control Tutorial</a>&nbsp; to configure it yourself as the Instrument Driver Network doesn't have any pre-made drivers for you device.