From: Peter Kemp on
Many thanks to all who replied to my inquiry.

The drive is definately dead. I can hear the head clicking every second
or so while it is running. Went to Frys's and the only ATA 500gb drive
they had was a WD Caviar blue. Got the drive failed message using the
new drive. I noticed that the old drive is an ATA 133 and the WD is a
100. Could that possibly be why the drive is failing to be recognized?

According to the F800 manual, you can replace a failed drive with any
drive the same size or larger.

For Arno: THis drive was used as a daily backup device and we were
about due for a complete backup so we're not really losing anything we
don't already have. My thinking (when I thought I would have to replace
the drive with an exact duplicate) was that if I have to buy four new
drives, I might as well upgrade to bigger drives. Doesn't matter any
more. Thanks for the advice.

FYI: We've bought 7 drives from Lacie in the past 5 years (raids, NAS
and an expensive tape drive) and only the current drive is still
operating and it has started getting directory coruption. I will never
again buy another Lacie drive. They don't last and if you're not in
warranty, you are left hanging out to dry. Stay away from Lacie.

From: Rod Speed on
Peter Kemp wrote:

> Many thanks to all who replied to my inquiry.

> The drive is definately dead. I can hear the head clicking every
> second or so while it is running. Went to Frys's and the only ATA
> 500gb drive they had was a WD Caviar blue. Got the drive failed
> message using the new drive. I noticed that the old drive is an ATA
> 133 and the WD is a 100. Could that possibly be why the drive is
> failing to be recognized?

Nope. Its much more likely that what you are plugging the drive into has failed.

> According to the F800 manual, you can replace a failed drive with any
> drive the same size or larger.

Thats typical.

> For Arno: THis drive was used as a daily backup device and we were about due for a complete backup so we're not really
> losing anything we don't already have. My thinking (when I thought I would have to replace the drive with an exact
> duplicate) was that if I have to buy four new drives, I might as well upgrade to bigger drives. Doesn't matter any
> more. Thanks for the advice.

> FYI: We've bought 7 drives from Lacie in the past 5 years (raids, NAS and an expensive tape drive) and only the
> current drive is still
> operating and it has started getting directory coruption. I will never
> again buy another Lacie drive. They don't last and if you're not in
> warranty, you are left hanging out to dry. Stay away from Lacie.

I always have.

From: Arno on
Peter Kemp <peterkemp(a)verizon.net> wrote:
> Many thanks to all who replied to my inquiry.

> The drive is definately dead. I can hear the head clicking every second
> or so while it is running. Went to Frys's and the only ATA 500gb drive
> they had was a WD Caviar blue. Got the drive failed message using the
> new drive. I noticed that the old drive is an ATA 133 and the WD is a
> 100. Could that possibly be why the drive is failing to be recognized?

No. Possibly the new drive is too small. Drive size in a class
varies by up to something like 1% for diefferent models.

> According to the F800 manual, you can replace a failed drive with any
> drive the same size or larger.

Yes. But it needs to be byte exact same or larger size.

> For Arno: THis drive was used as a daily backup device and we were
> about due for a complete backup so we're not really losing anything we
> don't already have. My thinking (when I thought I would have to replace
> the drive with an exact duplicate) was that if I have to buy four new
> drives, I might as well upgrade to bigger drives. Doesn't matter any
> more. Thanks for the advice.

Ah, I see.

> FYI: We've bought 7 drives from Lacie in the past 5 years (raids, NAS
> and an expensive tape drive) and only the current drive is still
> operating and it has started getting directory coruption. I will never
> again buy another Lacie drive. They don't last and if you're not in
> warranty, you are left hanging out to dry. Stay away from Lacie.

I completely agree. They have replaced engineering with design.

Arno

--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----