From: Peter Kemp on
I've had one of the drives in the RAID 5 setup fail on me. The drive is
over three years old and Lacie won't give any advice for customers with
out of warranty devices.

The failed F800 drive uses a Maxtor DiamondMax 11 6H500R0 and Lacie
doesn't sell that drive anymore and it looks like the drive isn't
manufactured anymore. I found a refurbished one for $200.

Here's the question(s): Can I replace this drive with any off the shelf
500gb drive or does it need to be an exact replacement? Anyone know if
the F800 would recognize 4 new 1or 2 tb drives or am I limited to
adding 4 500gb drives like the RAID came with?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

From: mscotgrove on
On Jul 14, 2:05 pm, Peter Kemp <peterk...(a)pkdesign.org> wrote:
> I've had one of the drives in the RAID 5 setup fail on me. The drive is
> over three years old and Lacie won't give any advice for customers with
> out of warranty devices.
>
> The failed F800 drive uses a Maxtor DiamondMax 11 6H500R0 and Lacie
> doesn't sell that drive anymore and it looks like the drive isn't
> manufactured anymore. I found a refurbished one for $200.
>
> Here's the question(s): Can I replace this drive with any off the shelf
> 500gb drive or does it need to be an exact replacement? Anyone know if
> the F800 would recognize 4 new 1or 2 tb drives or am I limited to
> adding 4 500gb drives like the RAID came with?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would expect any make of drive to work. It may be safest to make it
the same size, but in theory, a larger one will work, but the extra
space will be ignored.

As for replacing all drives with larger sizes, it may be a question of
try it and see. It may depend on how well the raid handles
addressing, and if you want a large say 3TB or 6TB drive (RAID 5) or
if you want to partition it to 2TB stripes. XP does not handle more
than 2TB out of the box, Vista and Windows 7 does. If you could
'borrow' some drives, it is worth a try.

Michael
www.cnwrecovery.com
From: Rod Speed on
Peter Kemp wrote:

> I've had one of the drives in the RAID 5 setup fail on me. The drive is over three years old and Lacie won't give any
> advice for customers with out of warranty devices.

> The failed F800 drive uses a Maxtor DiamondMax 11 6H500R0 and Lacie doesn't sell that drive anymore and it looks like
> the drive isn't manufactured anymore. I found a refurbished one for $200.

Thats an outrageous price for a 500GB Maxtor.

> Here's the question(s): Can I replace this drive with any off the
> shelf 500gb drive or does it need to be an exact replacement?

Unlikely to need an exact replacement.

> Anyone know if the F800 would recognize 4 new 1or 2 tb drives or am I limited to adding 4 500gb drives like the RAID
> came with?

That question should be resolvable on the net.

From: Arno on
Peter Kemp <peterkemp(a)pkdesign.org> wrote:
> I've had one of the drives in the RAID 5 setup fail on me. The drive is
> over three years old and Lacie won't give any advice for customers with
> out of warranty devices.

Sp forst advice: Replace this pice of trash with something were
you can get help during the heardware lifetime.

> The failed F800 drive uses a Maxtor DiamondMax 11 6H500R0 and Lacie
> doesn't sell that drive anymore and it looks like the drive isn't
> manufactured anymore. I found a refurbished one for $200.

Expensive. And these drives are not very good.

> Here's the question(s): Can I replace this drive with any off the shelf
> 500gb drive or does it need to be an exact replacement?

RAID does not make much sense if you need an exact replacement.
It just needs to be the same size or larger, not just the same
size class, i.e. make sure it hast the same bumber of bytes or
more. The easiest way is to use a drive one size-class larger,
here a 649GB or 750GB drive.

Replacement should not be a risk (but running the RAID without
backup in degraded state is). In the worst case it will just
not work.

> Anyone know if
> the F800 would recognize 4 new 1or 2 tb drives or am I limited to
> adding 4 500gb drives like the RAID came with?

Huh? I though you had data on that array? Anyways, why throw good
money after bad? Or does this thing have 8 slots? Anyways,
the place to look is the device documentation and if it does not
say to assume that it will not work.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: arno(a)wagner.name
----
From: Franc Zabkar on
On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 08:05:12 -0500, Peter Kemp
<peterkemp(a)pkdesign.org> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>I've had one of the drives in the RAID 5 setup fail on me. The drive is
>over three years old and Lacie won't give any advice for customers with
>out of warranty devices.
>
>The failed F800 drive uses a Maxtor DiamondMax 11 6H500R0 ...

How did it fail? Does it still spin up, or attempt to spin up? If not,
then it will most likely have a PCB fault which may turn out to be an
easy DIY repair.

- Franc Zabkar