From: mac on
> What size of designs are you working on? FWIW, I've had good luck
> doing smaller stuff in WinXP running from the Bootcamp partition on a
> MacBook using VMware. I've also gotten stuff built on an EEE901A with
> WebPack 10.1 under EEEbuntu.

I've also used a small Macbook for samll designs running Ubuntu in a VM.
The nice thing about running ISE on Linux is that you can ssh -X into
the VM and get it to display in the Mac's X server.

--
mac the naïf
From: Adam Górski on
rickman pisze:
> On Mar 4, 7:42 am, Adam G�rski <totutousungors...(a)malpawp.pl> wrote:
>> Pete Fraser pisze:
>>

>>> I'm going to be travelling soon, and will continue to
>>> do FPGA design from the road. I'll need to get a
>>> new laptop for this.
>>> Any thoughts?
>>> I think something based on the Core i7-620M might
>>> be fast enough and low power, but they seem rare.
>>> Looks like I'll probably end up with something with
>>> a Core i7-720QM or a Core i7-820QM.
>>> Anybody here have any experience with on of these
>>> machines? Is there another processor I should be looking at?
>>> The obvious OS with a new machine would be Windows 7,
>>> 64-bit, but I'm not sure my software will run on that.
>>> I'm running ISE Foundation 10.1 (and don't plan on
>>> upgrading quite yet). I also use Modelsim XE, but will
>>> be upgrading to Modelsim PE or Aldec.
>>> It's not clear what software runs on what OS. It seems
>>> that I might be safer with 32-bit XP for the Modelsim
>>> and the Xilinx software. Windows 7 Professional
>>> seems to have a downgrade option to XP. Does that
>>> mean I choose to install one or the other OS, or can
>>> I install both and switch between them? 7 Pro seems
>>> to have some sort of XP mode. Will that work for these
>>> tools? Is there a performance penalty over a real XP
>>> installation? Can I emulate XP 32-bit under W7 64-bit?
>>> Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.
>>> Pete
>> Use Remote desktop or similar .
>> You can have really powerful PC for fpga compilation this way.
>> If you have inet connection of course.
>>
>> Adam
>
> Way back when, this software was purchased (PC Anywhere sticks in my
> mind). Then I believe MS included it with WinXP, that was how IT used
> to "fix" my PC. But I see now it is back to being commercial
> software. This this software different somehow than the stuff they
> had in WinXP or is that gone again?

Remote desktop is included in WinXp Profesional and higher.
also in Vista Pro and higher.

Adam
From: rickman on
On Mar 5, 7:54 am, Adam Górski <totutousungors...(a)malpawp.pl> wrote:
> rickman pisze:

> >> Use Remote desktop or similar .
> >> You can have really powerful PC for fpga compilation this way.
> >> If you have inet connection of course.
>
> >> Adam
>
> > Way back when, this software was purchased (PC Anywhere sticks in my
> > mind).  Then I believe MS included it with WinXP, that was how IT used
> > to "fix" my PC.  But I see now it is back to being commercial
> > software.  This this software different somehow than the stuff they
> > had in WinXP or is that gone again?
>
> Remote desktop is included in WinXp Profesional and higher.
> also in Vista Pro and higher.
>
> Adam

Vista *what* pro? I've got Vista Home Pro. Do I have this? I expect
not.

Rick
From: rickman on
On Mar 5, 12:06 pm, rickman <gnu...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 5, 7:54 am, Adam Górski <totutousungors...(a)malpawp.pl> wrote:
>

> > rickman pisze:

> > > Way back when, this software was purchased (PC Anywhere sticks in my
> > > mind).  Then I believe MS included it with WinXP, that was how IT used
> > > to "fix" my PC.  But I see now it is back to being commercial
> > > software.  This this software different somehow than the stuff they
> > > had in WinXP or is that gone again?
>
> > Remote desktop is included in WinXp Profesional and higher.
> > also in Vista Pro and higher.
>
> > Adam
>
> Vista *what* pro?  I've got Vista Home Pro.  Do I have this?  I expect
> not.
>
> Rick

Doh! Nevermind. I have Vista Home *Premium*. The business version
is Vista Professional which is what you said...

Rick
From: HT-Lab on

"Adam G�rski" <totutousungorskia(a)malpawp.pl> wrote in message
> rickman pisze:
>> On Mar 4, 7:42 am, Adam G�rski <totutousungors...(a)malpawp.pl> wrote:
>>> Pete Fraser pisze:
...>>> Use Remote desktop or similar .
>>> You can have really powerful PC for fpga compilation this way.
>>> If you have inet connection of course.
>>>
>>> Adam
>>
>> Way back when, this software was purchased (PC Anywhere sticks in my
>> mind). Then I believe MS included it with WinXP, that was how IT used
>> to "fix" my PC. But I see now it is back to being commercial
>> software. This this software different somehow than the stuff they
>> had in WinXP or is that gone again?
>
> Remote desktop is included in WinXp Profesional and higher.
> also in Vista Pro and higher.

Just as a warning a number of Flexlm based software is blocking remote desktop
so you won't be able to run a node-locked license using remote desktop. VNC and
others work fine,

Hans
www.ht-lab.com