From: Geri on

I'm looking to buy a basic, inexpensive, 15 inch Laptop for about $500
to $800. Looking at the Dell web site they have six versions, Inspiron,
Studio, Vestro, Latitude, Precision and XPS.
I would appreciate suggestions or comments? Thanks, Geri

From: ~~Alan~~ on
Any one of these models are good. But besides the basic machine, you will
get very little more. Dell, as is the case for many other manufactures,
keeps prices low because you will get practically no customer support
service. That will cost extra. Warranty, what about 90 days? For a
laptop, I'd go with a 3 year plan plus the extra for accidental damage.
Face it, you're going to be bringing and hauling this thing with you all
over the place.

If you're planning on using this laptop or any other machine for use in the
near future, don't go with the least expensive configuration. Plan on some
extra memory. With Windows XP, you were able to start off with 256mb of
memory, then you had to upgrade to 512mb about the time SP2 came out and now
with SP3 plus the upgrades since, you need at least 1GB just to boot the
darn thing. Along those same lines, you can bet that many of your
applications will also grow over time. Isn't Office 2010 in the near
future?

Inspiron is Dell's basic home use line, Latitude is their more professional
line, and XPS is their higher end machine sort of geared for gamers.

Just me 3 cents worth.
~alan

From: Ben Myers on
On 3/7/2010 6:42 PM, ~~Alan~~ wrote:
> Any one of these models are good. But besides the basic machine, you
> will get very little more. Dell, as is the case for many other
> manufactures, keeps prices low because you will get practically no
> customer support service. That will cost extra. Warranty, what about 90
> days? For a laptop, I'd go with a 3 year plan plus the extra for
> accidental damage. Face it, you're going to be bringing and hauling this
> thing with you all over the place.
>
> If you're planning on using this laptop or any other machine for use in
> the near future, don't go with the least expensive configuration. Plan
> on some extra memory. With Windows XP, you were able to start off with
> 256mb of memory, then you had to upgrade to 512mb about the time SP2
> came out and now with SP3 plus the upgrades since, you need at least 1GB
> just to boot the darn thing. Along those same lines, you can bet that
> many of your applications will also grow over time. Isn't Office 2010 in
> the near future?
>
> Inspiron is Dell's basic home use line, Latitude is their more
> professional line, and XPS is their higher end machine sort of geared
> for gamers.
>
> Just me 3 cents worth.
> ~alan
>

> "Geri" <geri(a)any.net> wrote in message
>>
>> I'm looking to buy a basic, inexpensive, 15 inch Laptop for about $500
>> to $800. Looking at the Dell web site they have six versions,
>> Inspiron, Studio, Vestro, Latitude, Precision and XPS.
>> I would appreciate suggestions or comments? Thanks, Geri

Yes, Windows XP itself occupies more memory from the original to SP1 to
SP2 to SP3, but that does not explain the 256MB hardware configurations
sold in the early years of XP. The explanation is simple: $$$$$ Back
then, memory was very expensive, and ALL manufacturers shipped lots of
256MB systems just to be competitive with one another. Memory use by XP
grows by leaps and bounds during the life of a computer also because all
kinds of software demands additional memory. Install a printer, scanner
or all-in-one, and it needs memory to monitor levels of ink in
cartridges and to nag you that a cartridge is low on ink. Then you have
Java, Adobe Reader, iTunes and who knows what other software all of
which MUST occupy memory to poll the mother ship for updates to
themselves, never mind that the updates happen irregularly. And so it
goes. As far as I am concerned, 512MB is the bare minimum to run XP,
and you better not be doing many complicated tasks with as little as 512MB.

One other memory comment: if the OP is even marginally technical, it may
be less costly to buy the minimum memory configuration, then buy a 3rd
party memory upgrade from a well-regarded company like Crucial.
Manufacturer's upgrades, even when "factory installed", are often more
expensive than DIY. Best advice to all emptors is to caveat, and do a
bit of comparison shopping before ordering a computer... Ben Myers
From: Ron Hardin on
Geri wrote:

> I'm looking to buy a basic, inexpensive, 15 inch Laptop for about $500
> to $800. Looking at the Dell web site they have six versions, Inspiron,
> Studio, Vestro, Latitude, Precision and XPS.
> I would appreciate suggestions or comments? Thanks, Geri

I've had good luck with Vostros. The 1520s are okay; the small business outlet
has better prices than new. Refurbished is fine. I never buy new (actually
refurbished is new, but with some broken part replaced).

Make up a small business name if you have to (I think the field is required).

I tend to avoid the extra warranties (1 year is automatic), unless the machine
shows signs of being flakey near the end of the year, in which case maybe buy
an extension on speculation. Otherwise just replace the machine if it breaks.
They're cheap enough compared to the warranty so that wins.

Do everything online and support is fine.
--
rhhardin(a)mindspring.com

From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> Inspiron, Studio, Vestro

These are all "home user" oriented systems.

> Latitude, Precision

A Latitude is a business line system, with somewhat more conservative
features and options and very good build quality.

Precision systems are "mobile workstations". Most are Latitude-class
systems with advanced graphics and memory options.

> and XPS.

This is a "gaming laptop" intended for those who have to have their
high end gaming system on the road. It offers pure performance at the
expense of battery life and portability.

> I would appreciate suggestions or comments?

I usually recommend the Latitude for most people.

William