From: Fa-groon on
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 17:07:54 -0700, Mike wrote
(in article <mike-077907.19074923072010(a)news.newsguy.com>):

> In article <4c4a2bfc$0$4988$607ed4bc(a)cv.net>, "Dark" <dark(a)hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> What a joke, anything prints to an HP4. from DOS 3.3 to Windows 7 with no
>> problems and all versions of windows have HP 4 drivers built in.
>>
>> Who in there right mind would buy a Mac, over priced problem box's.
>>
>> So many Apple products don't work out of the box.
>>
>> All companies should have such a blind following.
>>
>> Dark
>>

>> "XX" <zs(a)orangegrove.org> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "David Lesher" <wb8foz(a)panix.com> wrote in message

>>> This is another reason why the Mac only commands 4% world market share.
>>>

> She doesn't know how to configure ethernet and then answers her own post.
>
> A wholly one-sided event courtesy of baboon-girlie-zarathingy-no-nuts
> talking to herself.

Must be. Macs recognize most HP printers without external drivers. It makes
sense that the zara-thingy can't configure an ethernet connection, though
(which has nothing to do with Mac printer support).

From: David Empson on
David Lesher <wb8foz(a)panix.com> wrote:

> dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz (David Empson) writes:
>

> >Even without Postscript, it may be possible to get it working with the
> >right combination of Gutenprint PCL drivers and network settings.
>
> I thought it was Ghostscript

Ghostscript renders Postscript to other things. It isn't necessary as
part of the print subsystem in Mac OS X, which is based on PDF. It might
be useful if you had Postscript files you wanted to do something with.

Ghostscript combined with something that does PCL output might do the
trick, but I've never investigated that route.

Gutenprint is an open source collection of printer drivers for CUPS,
which is the print subsystem in Mac OS X. They render directly from PDF
to the language used by the printer (PCL in this case).

> but in any case, that's what I seek. I thought Apple or HP was bundling
> it for PCL printers.

Gutenprint drivers are in recent versions of Mac OS X. I don't recall
whether Tiger comes with the Gutenprint drivers for HP LaserJet PCL.
Snow Leopard does, and I think Leopard did.

> That was based on HP LaserJet Mac OS X Installer Print Only Software Solution
> for v10.2, v10.3.x, v10.4.x, v10.5
> <http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.j
> sp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=25484&prodNameId=15026&s
> wEnvOID=219&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=lj-57300-1>

HP never published Mac-compatible PCL drivers for its older LaserJet
printers which were able to support Postscript. They only supplied
Postscript drivers.

--
David Empson
dempson(a)actrix.gen.nz