From: Tony Harding on
On 02/21/10 13:32, Ben Myers wrote:
> On 2/21/2010 8:48 AM, Bob Levine wrote:
>> "Who Wants To Know" <someone(a)somewhere.com> wrote in message
>>> I do not see any Windows 7 (or Vista) 64 bit drivers for the NIC in
>>> the D830. Recently had to rebuild so went with Windows 7 64 bit since
>>> I have 4 GB of memory. Soes anyone know if the drivers avaialble on
>>> Boradcoms web site for this NIC and Win 7 / 64 bit will work, or will
>>> I totally mess things up by installing them (I need to play with
>>> packet size which the standard drivers won't let me do).
>>>
>>> On a side note, has anyone tried and have any stories to share with
>>> taking this past 4GB of memory (I have BIOS A15 installed).
>>>
>>> Thanks all.
>>>
>>> --Brad
>>
>> So Windows didn't have a driver for it? Did you try Vista drivers? Does
>> it work with wireless?
>>
>> FWIW and IMHO, with four gigs you've accomplished nothing with the 64
>> bit version. I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong but I see no point
>> in going to 64 bit without six gigs at a minimum.
>>
>> Bob
>
> Agreed. The incremental differences between 3GB 32-bit Windows and 4GB
> 64-bit Windows is almost nil... Ben Myers

Shouldn't the computer gain a GB or so of memory with a switch to a
64-bit OS because the software mapped into the system area at 4GB and
down recover *all* that memory because 64-bit Windows will map the
system area higher, i.e., at the 64-bit address & down, leaving the
entire 4GB of memory for the user? That additional GB should help some
if the computer is pushing the 3GB limit with a 32-bit OS.

I agree, however, that, from a practical POV, you should add memory when
migrating to a 64-bit OS. E.g., I configured the new XPS 9000 with 12GB
(and the i975 Extreme Edition processor) to optimize video capture and
editing. An hour of video in .AVI format is about 13GB and video
processing is both memory and cycle constrained. The memory algorithms
are different now, e.g., after booting TaskMgr shows I'm using approx.
1.4-1.5GB.

Don't know about the D830 - which chipset? My XPS 410 with Intel's P965
chipset ran/runs great with 8GB or memory under both XP & Win 7 64-bit
editions.

Computers are great fun and don't require leaving the house!

TH