From: Who Wants To Know on
I do not see any Windows 7 (or Vista) 64 bit drivers for the NIC in
the D830. Recently had to rebuild so went with Windows 7 64 bit since
I have 4 GB of memory. Soes anyone know if the drivers avaialble on
Boradcoms web site for this NIC and Win 7 / 64 bit will work, or will
I totally mess things up by installing them (I need to play with
packet size which the standard drivers won't let me do).

On a side note, has anyone tried and have any stories to share with
taking this past 4GB of memory (I have BIOS A15 installed).

Thanks all.

--Brad
From: Bob Levine on
"Who Wants To Know" <someone(a)somewhere.com> wrote in message
> I do not see any Windows 7 (or Vista) 64 bit drivers for the NIC in
> the D830. Recently had to rebuild so went with Windows 7 64 bit since
> I have 4 GB of memory. Soes anyone know if the drivers avaialble on
> Boradcoms web site for this NIC and Win 7 / 64 bit will work, or will
> I totally mess things up by installing them (I need to play with
> packet size which the standard drivers won't let me do).
>
> On a side note, has anyone tried and have any stories to share with
> taking this past 4GB of memory (I have BIOS A15 installed).
>
> Thanks all.
>
> --Brad

So Windows didn't have a driver for it? Did you try Vista drivers? Does it
work with wireless?

FWIW and IMHO, with four gigs you've accomplished nothing with the 64 bit
version. I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong but I see no point in
going to 64 bit without six gigs at a minimum.

Bob

From: Ben Myers on
On 2/21/2010 8:48 AM, Bob Levine wrote:
> "Who Wants To Know" <someone(a)somewhere.com> wrote in message
>> I do not see any Windows 7 (or Vista) 64 bit drivers for the NIC in
>> the D830. Recently had to rebuild so went with Windows 7 64 bit since
>> I have 4 GB of memory. Soes anyone know if the drivers avaialble on
>> Boradcoms web site for this NIC and Win 7 / 64 bit will work, or will
>> I totally mess things up by installing them (I need to play with
>> packet size which the standard drivers won't let me do).
>>
>> On a side note, has anyone tried and have any stories to share with
>> taking this past 4GB of memory (I have BIOS A15 installed).
>>
>> Thanks all.
>>
>> --Brad
>
> So Windows didn't have a driver for it? Did you try Vista drivers? Does
> it work with wireless?
>
> FWIW and IMHO, with four gigs you've accomplished nothing with the 64
> bit version. I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong but I see no point
> in going to 64 bit without six gigs at a minimum.
>
> Bob

Agreed. The incremental differences between 3GB 32-bit Windows and 4GB
64-bit Windows is almost nil... Ben Myers
From: Who Wants To Know on
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 08:48:35 -0500, "Bob Levine" <invalid(a)invalid.com>
wrote:

>"Who Wants To Know" <someone(a)somewhere.com> wrote in message
>> I do not see any Windows 7 (or Vista) 64 bit drivers for the NIC in
>> the D830. Recently had to rebuild so went with Windows 7 64 bit since
>> I have 4 GB of memory. Soes anyone know if the drivers avaialble on
>> Boradcoms web site for this NIC and Win 7 / 64 bit will work, or will
>> I totally mess things up by installing them (I need to play with
>> packet size which the standard drivers won't let me do).
>>
>> On a side note, has anyone tried and have any stories to share with
>> taking this past 4GB of memory (I have BIOS A15 installed).
>>
>> Thanks all.
>>
>> --Brad
>
>So Windows didn't have a driver for it? Did you try Vista drivers? Does it
>work with wireless?
>
>FWIW and IMHO, with four gigs you've accomplished nothing with the 64 bit
>version. I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong but I see no point in
>going to 64 bit without six gigs at a minimum.
>
>Bob

I couldn't find VISTA 64 Bit NOC drivers for the embedded LAN
interface (Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller) from Dell so
that's why I went looking to the Broadcom drivers directly. The NIC
works fine as does the wireless, I just need a driver that was similar
to the XP driver that let's me set more paremeters (such as packet
size (a.k.a. Jumbo Frames). The default Windows 7 driver isn't very
'configurable' :(

While I agree that there is little benefit in the 64 Bit vs. 32 Bit OS
for just 4GB of memory, I am a heavy user of VMWare Workstation. For
business reasons I need to *host* VM's that are 64 Bit OS' (Linux and
Windows Server 2008 R2). I can't load those VM's without the 64 bit
version of VMWare, which requires a 64 Bit host OS :( That was a bit
confusing, but hopefully made sense :) That's BTW why I added the
side question regarding anyone's experiences with taking a D830 to 6
or 8 GB of memory - they are pretty expensive and if they don't work I
can't return them and don't need them elsewhere :(

Thanks for the info and I guess I may just need to experiment with the
drivers and the memory upgrade.

--Brad
From: Bob Levine on
"Ben Myers" <ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in message

> Agreed. The incremental differences between 3GB 32-bit Windows and 4GB
> 64-bit Windows is almost nil... Ben Myers

You disappoint me, Ben. :)

Bob