From: rickman on
I am writing a case statement and it doesn't seem to like an attribute
as a selection expression. Is an attribute not a legal item in an
expression?

It flags an error at the "of" on the first line saying 'keyword "is"
expected'
and at the beginning of the last line shown here saying 'keyword "end"
expected'

case LFSRReg'high of
when 2 =>
Feedback := Feedback xor LFSRReg(2);
Feedback := Feedback xor LFSRReg(1);
when 3 =>

I seem to get rusty on VHDL between projects, but I thought I knew how
to construct a case statement. Am I just getting old?

Rick
From: Alan Fitch on
On 21/02/10 01:53, rickman wrote:
> I am writing a case statement and it doesn't seem to like an attribute
> as a selection expression. Is an attribute not a legal item in an
> expression?
>
> It flags an error at the "of" on the first line saying 'keyword "is"
> expected'
> and at the beginning of the last line shown here saying 'keyword "end"
> expected'
>
> case LFSRReg'high of
> when 2 =>
> Feedback := Feedback xor LFSRReg(2);
> Feedback := Feedback xor LFSRReg(1);
> when 3 =>
>
> I seem to get rusty on VHDL between projects, but I thought I knew how
> to construct a case statement. Am I just getting old?
>
> Rick

The syntax is
case expression is

so replace "of" by "is",

regards
Alan

--
Alan Fitch
From: rickman on
On Feb 20, 8:57 pm, Alan Fitch <a...(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 21/02/10 01:53, rickman wrote:
>

> > I am writing a case statement and it doesn't seem to like an attribute
> > as a selection expression.  Is an attribute not a legal item in an
> > expression?
>
> > It flags an error at the "of" on the first line saying 'keyword "is"
> > expected'
> > and at the beginning of the last line shown here saying 'keyword "end"
> > expected'
>
> >      case LFSRReg'high of
> >            when 2 =>
> >              Feedback := Feedback xor LFSRReg(2);
> >              Feedback := Feedback xor LFSRReg(1);
> >            when 3 =>
>
> > I seem to get rusty on VHDL between projects, but I thought I knew how
> > to construct a case statement.  Am I just getting old?
>
> > Rick
>
> The syntax is
>   case expression is
>
> so replace "of" by "is",
>
> regards
> Alan
>
> --
> Alan Fitch

Maybe I am working to hard. I even looked at a reference guide
several times and kept reading "of" instead of "is"... If I'm not
getting old, I guess I'm at least getting tired!

Thanks a lot for the *really* fast reply!

Rick