From: Bob G on

> Sensor sizes are named, defined, and measured by their diagonal in inches.
> Go educate yourself.

The diagonal of a rectangle of sides a and b is given by this
equation:

diagonal = square root of (a squared + b squared)

There's an infinite number of solutions for a and b for any given
diagonal. The solution becomes unique only when you specify a
relationship between a and b, such as

a:b :: 3:4, or 2:3, or 1:1, or...

So, it is not true that a diagonal, alone by itself defines the size
of the sensor. You must also give the aspect ratio.
From: nate bishop on
On Tue, 25 May 2010 19:16:28 +0200, Alfred Molon <alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:

>In article <mdpnv5df5nfsmc4904vp4hv09b30a4rtde(a)4ax.com>, nate bishop
>says...
>
>> >In article <pdenv5tio4br3hhidum2p02oje7toh5n53(a)4ax.com>, nate bishop
>> >says...
>> >
>> >The aspect ratio is. The diagonal is irrelevant.
>>
>> Sensor sizes are named, defined, and measured by their diagonal in inches.
>> Go educate yourself.
>
>LOL - you educate yourself. Sensor sizes are measured in width and
>length.

Oh really. Then tell me, why are they listed in all camera reviews, in
manuals, and even on the boxes they come in, with sensor sizes of 1/3.6,
1/3.2, 1/3, 1/2.7, 1/2.5, 1/2.3, 1/2, 1/1.8, 1/1.7, 2/3, 1/1, 4/3, 1.8,
etc.

Since you're too stupid to even go educate yourself, I'll take pity on you.

Read this:

http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Camera_System/sensor_sizes_01.htm

I'll put you in my filters labeled: "Too stupid to even go educate
himself." You're not alone in there.

From: Bruce on
On Tue, 25 May 2010 16:41:44 +0200, Alfred Molon
<alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>In article <pdenv5tio4br3hhidum2p02oje7toh5n53(a)4ax.com>, nate bishop
>says...
>> Because the diagonal is not four 1/3rds (1.33) inches. The diagonal of
>> those dimension is 1.77 inches.
>
>The aspect ratio is. The diagonal is irrelevant.

That's a surprising statement from someone who actively promotes a
Four Thirds discussion group.

From the outset, Four Thirds referred not only to the aspect ratio,
but also to the nominal size of a key factor in manufacturing the
sensors. Whether it was the blank, or a die, or something else I
cannot recall. But it was used to define the sensor size as well as
the aspect ratio.

From: John Navas on
On Tue, 25 May 2010 18:43:45 +0100, Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote
in <0r2ov5ho7itdc3k6vkst9j2p4jm42v94co(a)4ax.com>:

>On Tue, 25 May 2010 16:41:44 +0200, Alfred Molon
><alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>In article <pdenv5tio4br3hhidum2p02oje7toh5n53(a)4ax.com>, nate bishop
>>says...
>>> Because the diagonal is not four 1/3rds (1.33) inches. The diagonal of
>>> those dimension is 1.77 inches.
>>
>>The aspect ratio is. The diagonal is irrelevant.
>
>That's a surprising statement from someone who actively promotes a
>Four Thirds discussion group.
>
>From the outset, Four Thirds referred not only to the aspect ratio,
>but also to the nominal size of a key factor in manufacturing the
>sensors. Whether it was the blank, or a die, or something else I
>cannot recall. But it was used to define the sensor size as well as
>the aspect ratio.

<http://www.four-thirds.org/en/fourthirds/whitepaper.html>:

Size of the 4/3-type Sensor
The standard diagonal length of the sensor is 21.63 mm. It is half
that of 35-mm film format (36 mm x 24 mm) and suitable format for
professional use in digital age. The image circle of the
interchangeable lens is specified based on this diagonal length.

<http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/dslr_7045.htm>:

Four Thirds is a reference to the size of the image sensor. The image
sensor for Four Thirds cameras is what is commonly referred to as a
4/3 type or 4/3 type sensor. These describe the type of sensor not
the actual size of the light sensitive area, which is normally much
smaller

The sensor measures approximately 22.3mm diagonally, not four-thirds
of an inch, which would be about 33.87mm. Traditionally, the nominal
size of image-sensing devices has been based on a method of
calculation that was introduced when vacuum image-sensing tubes were
first invented.

At the time, the outer diameter of these early 'vidicon' tubes was
used to indicate their size. Unfortunately, this convention has
remained despite the many advances in imaging technology that have
since been made, and so the designation, "a four-thirds-inch sensor,"
can be a source of confusion. For this reason, many people now prefer
to use the word "type" instead of "inch" when discussing the size of
digital image sensors.
--
Best regards,
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: John Navas on
On Tue, 25 May 2010 11:08:04 -0700, John Navas <jnspam1(a)navasgroup.com>
wrote in <0c3ov5pv4ge88i3clodpg3ck5kpajmbdnk(a)4ax.com>:

>>From the outset, Four Thirds referred not only to the aspect ratio,
>>but also to the nominal size of a key factor in manufacturing the
>>sensors. Whether it was the blank, or a die, or something else I
>>cannot recall. But it was used to define the sensor size as well as
>>the aspect ratio.

Four Thirds refers only to (image circle) size, not aspect ratio.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_Thirds_system#Sensor_size_and_aspect_ratio>:

However, the standard only specifies the sensor diagonal, thus Four
Thirds cameras using the standard 3:2 aspect ratio would be
possible[5]; notably newer Panasonic Micro Four Thirds models even
offer shooting at multiple aspect ratios while maintaining the same
image diagonal. For instance, the Panasonic GH1 uses a multi-aspect
sensor which is designed to maximize use of the image circle at 4:3,
3:2, and 16:9; each ratio having a diagonal of 22.5mm.[6]