From: Ryan McGinnis on
From: Chris Malcolm on
In rec.photo.digital Bowser <Canon(a)nikon.panny> wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 08:37:14 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>>On 2010-08-09 04:52:16 -0700, "Bowser" <badda(a)bing.com> said:
>>> "Rich" <none(a)nowhere.com> wrote in message

>>> Getty's list has been a joke for a long time:
>>>
>>> http://contributors.gettyimages.com/workwithus/article.asp?article_id=1346
>>>
>>> No canon 5D II? No Nikon D3s? No Canon 7D? No Leica M9? Hmmm......
>>
>>Even sillier, they list the D300 and not the D700?
>>...and if the D300, why not the D90?

> Yes, it's a stupid and lame attempt to try and control the quality of
> the images they collect based on camera make and model. No Sonys? Is
> thee no other SLR on the market besides the two sacred cows capable of
> producing a quality image? According to Getty, no. Very, very stupid
> list.

It's a silly list designed to put off silly photographers. Intelligent
photographers know that the list doesn't matter.

--
Chris Malcolm
From: Bowser on
On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 11:17:37 +0100, bugbear
<bugbear(a)trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 13:53:50 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> They probably just want to lessen the amount of work that would be
>>> entailed, screening out junk that would get submitted if they opened
>>> the flood-gates to every camera, some of which (P&S's) can't produce
>>> acceptable.
>>

>> That's precisely it. They have no desire to be flooded with cell
>> phone images.
>>

>Guess they wouldn't want images of Saddam Hussein's execution
>then, which is a little odd for a news organisation.

Remember that cover shot on Time of the Concord going up in flames
during takeoff? It was taken by a tourist using a disposable film
camera. Technically, it was rubbish. But it was the ONLY shot of its
kind! Content trumps technical perfection nearly every time.
From: Bowser on
On 11 Aug 2010 08:10:47 GMT, Chris Malcolm <cam(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk>
wrote:

>In rec.photo.digital Bowser <Canon(a)nikon.panny> wrote:
>> On Mon, 9 Aug 2010 08:37:14 -0700, Savageduck
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>>>Even sillier, they list the D300 and not the D700?
>>>...and if the D300, why not the D90?
>
>> Yes, it's a stupid and lame attempt to try and control the quality of
>> the images they collect based on camera make and model. No Sonys? Is
>> thee no other SLR on the market besides the two sacred cows capable of
>> producing a quality image? According to Getty, no. Very, very stupid
>> list.
>
>It's a silly list designed to put off silly photographers. Intelligent
>photographers know that the list doesn't matter.

totally agree. Getty is wasting their time even publishing a list.
From: Superzooms Still Win on
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 19:32:03 -0400, Bowser <Canon(a)Nikon.Panny> wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 11:17:37 +0100, bugbear
><bugbear(a)trim_papermule.co.uk_trim> wrote:
>
>>Bruce wrote:
>>>

>>> That's precisely it. They have no desire to be flooded with cell
>>> phone images.
>>>

>>Guess they wouldn't want images of Saddam Hussein's execution
>>then, which is a little odd for a news organisation.
>
>Remember that cover shot on Time of the Concord going up in flames
>during takeoff? It was taken by a tourist using a disposable film
>camera. Technically, it was rubbish. But it was the ONLY shot of its
>kind! Content trumps technical perfection nearly every time.

No. Not nearly every time. Always.

You could have a technically perfect three-terabyte pixel image of some
immature flash-in-the-pan pop-star gracing a wall of some famous landmark.
And alongside it a cell-phone image blown up to the same size, of the very
first verified contact with visiting alien life from another world. Guess
which image people will look at and value the most.

Images will always be awarded attention based on the value of their
content, never their technical perfection. Do you think that if Ansel took
an image of some roadside stop-sign and then applied his darkroom
techniques on it, that anyone would give a damn about wanting to see his
"technical perfection" of an image that everyone has seen everyday their
whole lives? Without worthy content technical perfection has zero value.

I wholly understand that the denizens of these photography groups are
either: role-playing trolls who have never held a camera, with their only
value being what stats they can spout from fellow trolls or specs posted
online; or failed snapshooters, who believe that if they only got a more
expensive technically-superior camera, then they too will become a famous
(or at least valued) photographer one day. With that being the vast
majority, if not the all of the participants (minus one), they have no
choice but to tout the benefits of "technical superiority". (Even doing
that full of errors.) It's all they know. All they understand. And
precisely why they'll always fail.

They know nothing of what entails "valuable content". How can they? In
order to do so they'd have to understand humanity first. That is far beyond
the scope of their sheltered and/or self-serving lives. Technical aspects
they can sometimes grasp, so they run with it, full tilt. Tripping, falling
and failing--all the way.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Prev: Tiptoe...Thru the Water...