From: Marshall Barton on
David Kaye wrote:

>Marshall Barton <marshbarton(a)wowway.com> wrote:
>
>>Sometimes, but not always. IsNumeric will return True for
>>anything that can represent a number, even somewhat obscure
>>number styles such as:
>>+1.234E-3
>>-1.234D+3
>>$12.34-
>>$(12.34)
>>which makes IsNumeric useless in most situations where you
>>might expect it to work.
>
>I think this is an unnecessary worry. No account number is going to have
>those characters.

How about:
12345D6
543E21

The original question was to see if it was all digits
optionally followed by a letter. Clearly IsNumeric does not
detect some failures to meet the requirement.

--
Marsh
From: David Kaye on
Marshall Barton <marshbarton(a)wowway.com> wrote:

>How about:
>12345D6
>543E21
>
>The original question was to see if it was all digits
>optionally followed by a letter. Clearly IsNumeric does not
>detect some failures to meet the requirement.

Dang! Absolutely right. Okay, I'll stick to the solution I posted.

From: Jon Lewis on

From: Jon Lewis on
Thanks to all who replied. It's got to be any number of digits 0-9 (no
other characters) optionally follwed by a single letter (a-z) so my original
way seems as good as any.

Jon

"David Kaye" <sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> sfdavidkaye2(a)yahoo.com (David Kaye) wrote:
>
> Slight correction. Note the 0 to 9 addition:
>
>>select case right$(str$,1)
>> case "A" to "Z", "a" to "z", "0" to "9"
>> if maybeok then
>> isokay=true