From: jm7 on
I would like to give access to the Internet for clients in my waiting room.
But is there a way to stop carrying out huge downloads? They would be using
their own laptops or iphones.

Is there a wireless router out there which can set a download limit for a
particular MAC address? or perhaps a setting on a normal router (to which
the wireless router is attached) which limits downloads to a certain IP
address on the LAN.

thanks in advance.

From: Leythos on
In article <OqQ$UypBLHA.420(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, x(a)noSpamMail.com
says...

> I would like to give access to the Internet for clients in my waiting room.
> But is there a way to stop carrying out huge downloads? They would be using
> their own laptops or iphones.
>
> Is there a wireless router out there which can set a download limit for a
> particular MAC address? or perhaps a setting on a normal router (to which
> the wireless router is attached) which limits downloads to a certain IP
> address on the LAN.
>
> thanks in advance.

What you want is a Firewall Appliance that has a real DMZ network and to
install a WAP (wireless access point) in the DMZ, so that they are not
on your company network. Most firewall appliances offer the ability to
rate limit traffic.

If you allow people to connect to your LAN via the wireless you are
violating all sorts of medical security standards.

Trust yourself.
From: Yousuf Khan on
On 6/8/2010 5:53 AM, jm7 wrote:
> I would like to give access to the Internet for clients in my waiting room.
> But is there a way to stop carrying out huge downloads? They would be using
> their own laptops or iphones.
>
> Is there a wireless router out there which can set a download limit for a
> particular MAC address? or perhaps a setting on a normal router (to which
> the wireless router is attached) which limits downloads to a certain IP
> address on the LAN.
>
> thanks in advance.

If you wanted to turn off downloading from your network, then you'd have
to turn off the HTTP port. If you did that, you'd then be turning off
access to all websites. Will make for a very useless Internet experience
that way.

But as someone else has pointed out, you need a firewall appliance to do
stuff like that. Routers are very limited in their configurability.

Yousuf Khan
From: yuppicide on
I wonder if a free service like OpenDNS will do the trick.. Some Netgear
routers support their advanced features.

From: Yousuf Khan on
On 6/21/2010 10:42 PM, yuppicide wrote:
> I wonder if a free service like OpenDNS will do the trick.. Some Netgear
> routers support their advanced features.

I'm not sure what OpenDNS can do that'll let you prevent stuff like that.

Yousuf Khan