From: James Gavan on
Pete Dashwood wrote:

> Jimmy, it really doesn't matter and is not important. I mentioned it because
> you scolded Howard for being brief and that was completely unfair.
>
> The reference was to a very long post you made in the MF forum which I
> happened to come across by accident, while looking for something else. Bob
> Hennessey had asked for help with a LAN addressing problem and instead of
> actually helping him you went into a very long discourse about files where
> you mentioned that Line Sequential files are fixed length. In fact they vary
> across platforms but are usually delimited by CR/LF and can therefore be
> fixed or variable in COBOL terms. Many other software systems use these
> files and they are only "fixed Length" in terms of COBOL IF you define them
> with a specific record length. Like I said, it really doesn't matter but
> what annoyed me was that you could have a go at Howard for being succinct
> when your own posts were sometimes long, rambling, unhelpful, and
> inaccurate.
>
> I mailed Bob privately and resolved his LAN problem. I didn't post in the MF
> forum to spare you embarrassment and to avoid a flame war over somethng that
> really doesn't matter much. I only mentioned it here because you were out of
> order criticising Howard.
>
> Pete.

How very considerate of you to spare me embarrassment. It didn't occur
to you that I would prefer to be correctly informed, which again you
could have done either privately, or perhaps diplomatically here.

Instead this time you let Mr. Hyde take over from Dr. Jekyll, and of
course what you posted was in no way meant to question my credibility
to other readers, was it ? Like a previous snide remark, "He knows
something about OO"... which could have be extended to, "but not as much
as ME".

I told you after the last two snotty replies I would be writing. I did -
seven of those rambling pages in my own prose style, which obviously
creates much irritation for you. The keyboard got hot. Ahhhh.......,
then up came Easter and for about five nano-seconds I 'got religion'.
'Nope, I might be angry at him, but I'll let it ride - I wont post'. I
felt at peace with myself. Then I lost access to the draft.

As regards Howard, he is a big boy now and can take care of himself. As
you know he responded. But no, Mr. Dashwood had to come on the scene
like a decrepit Don Quixote, suited up in tarnished armour, astride a
flea-bitten nag and taking centre stage to act as the White Knight in
shining armour, proclaiming defence of the defenceless.

And now one of your fairly frequent snide comments - as and when you see
fit, to ANY participants in this group. But you don't do that sort of
thing do you ?

- "Oh well X if I had known that would be your reaction, I wouldn't
have bothered to post".

- "Now I will be rude. F*** Off". Charming from somebody who *prides*
himself on his command of the English Language.

Small wonder you like the fact this group isn't monitored - anyway you
like playing the 'Moderator', according to your rules. As for me, I'm
kinda a special case so far as you are concerned.

Enough already ! I was at peace as I said above, now wait for that
response which I deemed not to send - which will be a re-hash of what
got lost - no quotes from e-mails, just using that rather questionable
memory-box I have.
From: James Gavan on
Richard wrote:

>>Now as opposed to 'forgetting' I do 'recall', sometime after May
>>perhaps, that Richard used the phrase 'Line Sequentials are Fixed' or
>>some such. If he didn't, then I am truly going nuts !!!!
>

> You are truly going nuts, but that is independent of whether I said
> that or not.
>
> I did say a few _years_ ago:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.cobol/browse_thread/thread/9c20cfe19b7b0ae/441df7f1d98776b9?lnk=gst&q=CBR_TRAILING_BLANK_RECORD#441df7f1d98776b9

Hmm. Guess I agree - obviously I am nuts :-) Could've sworn I read it
though. A real long shot - and CLC is the only Newsgroup I read -
somebody else posted with using 'Richard' as his name ?; it's a while
now since your name read just as 'riplin').
From: James Gavan on
docdwarf(a)panix.com wrote:
> In article <htE8o.6905$wJ1.1792(a)newsfe08.iad>,
> James Gavan <jgavan(a)shaw.ca> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>>DD : Homework Exercise - I really don't have any success when searching
>>CLC, combination of Thunderbird for e-mail and Google searching.
>

> I used to have success with homework... but this assignment I think my dog
> ate... or maybe nobody ate it and it's just a dog's breakfast... or you're
> not referring to me at all, that's why I sit behind the Smart Kid and
> weave and bob around so Teacher will not see me... or some of the above?
>

>>You
>>sure seem to be able to quickly put your hands on stuff. Have you got it
>>stored in an archive on your machine - or what else, (different search
>>engine ?), are you using ?
>

> I use DejaNews... errrr, Google Groups. For this one I tried '"line
> sequential" "fixed length" gavan group:comp.lang.cobol' (no single-quotes
> but the double-quotes included) and got ten results. A sort on date shows
> the most recent was 8 Aug 2006 and the earliest 24 Sep 2000.
>
> (Either the statute of limitations has expired or someone is working in
> COBOL-time, where code that is old enough to vote is barely proving its
> worth.)
>
> DD

Thanks DD - it clarifies what you are doing, although I didn't
anticipate your search. Thanks again.

Jimmy
From: Pete Dashwood on
James Gavan wrote:
> [...]
> Knight in shining armour, proclaiming defence of the defenceless.
>
> And now one of your fairly frequent snide comments - as and when you
> see fit, to ANY participants in this group. But you don't do that
> sort of thing do you ?
>
> - "Oh well X if I had known that would be your reaction, I wouldn't
> have bothered to post".
>
> - "Now I will be rude. F*** Off". Charming from somebody who *prides*
> himself on his command of the English Language.
>
> Small wonder you like the fact this group isn't monitored - anyway you
> like playing the 'Moderator', according to your rules. As for me, I'm
> kinda a special case so far as you are concerned.
>
> Enough already ! I was at peace as I said above, now wait for that
> response which I deemed not to send - which will be a re-hash of what
> got lost - no quotes from e-mails, just using that rather questionable

Shouldn't you be looking at holiday snaps?

Pete.

From: Arnold Trembley on
On 8/11/2010 5:29 PM, docdwarf(a)panix.com wrote:
> (snip)
> I use DejaNews... errrr, Google Groups. For this one I tried '"line
> sequential" "fixed length" gavan group:comp.lang.cobol' (no single-quotes
> but the double-quotes included) and got ten results. A sort on date shows
> the most recent was 8 Aug 2006 and the earliest 24 Sep 2000.

I miss DejaNews, but google groups advanced search works pretty well.

> (Either the statute of limitations has expired or someone is working in
> COBOL-time, where code that is old enough to vote is barely proving its
> worth.)
>
> DD

Doc, you will appreciate this. Last week I was researching some COBOL
code for an older batch application that we are trying to retire and I
came across a long unused COBOL program that was written in 1967 (43
years old!). I'd post samples of it, but it's still considered
intellectual property, even though I'd rate its value as negative,
except for entertainment purposes.

--
http://www.arnoldtrembley.com/
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last