From: Savageduck on
On 2010-03-08 22:20:56 -0800, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:

> Since I'm commenting late, I'll just comment on certain images.
> However, I disagree with the person who felt that this series wasn't
> particularly noteworthy. I feel that there was some real imagination
> used in meeting the mandate by many of the posters.

> SavageDuck01 - Good catch. Not something I think anyone would bother
> photographing normally, but when you're driving around thinking of
> Lines & Intersections you would. This kind of proves that mandates
> expand your photographic thinking.

I hadn't thought of taking a shot of that tree for the 22 years I had
been driving past it, and after I do they cut the damn thing down.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/DNC0682w.jpg

> SavageDuck03 - About the same comments as above. Trite subject matter
> normally, but it fits the mandate. That green thing in the right
> quarter bothers me a bit. A spot of color is good, but when we don't
> know what the object is it becomes a distraction.

OK, I got the message some are distracted by the yellow sign, some by
the grass, consider it fixed.
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Line%26Intersections-Savageduck-03B.jpg

> -
> As to the ones I didn't comment on...any critique I provide is based
> on my own prejudices, biases, and favoritisms. I like strong
> object-oriented photographs and people photographs. I'm not big on
> patterns, abstracts, landscape distance shots, and arty stuff.
> (Unless I take the picture) I withhold comment on these because I
> don't relate to them.

The next two mandates should be interesting.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: tony cooper on
On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 22:50:38 -0800, Savageduck
<savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>On 2010-03-08 22:20:56 -0800, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:
>

>> SavageDuck03 - About the same comments as above. Trite subject matter
>> normally, but it fits the mandate. That green thing in the right
>> quarter bothers me a bit. A spot of color is good, but when we don't
>> know what the object is it becomes a distraction.
>
>OK, I got the message some are distracted by the yellow sign, some by
>the grass, consider it fixed.
>http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Line%26Intersections-Savageduck-03B.jpg

The thing I was referring to is still there. The yellow sign didn't
bother me because I knew what it was.

>The next two mandates should be interesting.

They all are if they produce expanded thinking and new perspectives on
what we already see. Whenever I drive around I'm looking for an
interesting photo op. When there's a mandate involved, I look at the
usual things with new eyes.

I participate in an online forum on "Street" photography. It kills me
when I see the stuff that people in NYC and other major urban areas
have to work with when I'm sitting here in a city that is primarily
strip malls, hotels/motels, no downtown to speak of, and a population
that looks like the gallery at a minor golf tournament at a public
course. But I still find shots because I look for them.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-03-09 00:13:33 -0800, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:

> On Mon, 8 Mar 2010 22:50:38 -0800, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

> The thing I was referring to is still there. The yellow sign didn't
> bother me because I knew what it was.

Aah! I understand. It is the single green strand between the tracks.
I too, have no idea what that is.
Consider it gone. (As is the sign which bothered some.)
http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Line%26Intersections-Savageduck-03C.jpg

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Paul Furman on
tony cooper wrote:
> I'm not big on patterns, abstracts, landscape distance shots, and arty stuff.
> (Unless I take the picture)

lol <smack!>

Your shots turned out nice. At first I was sure you did something
ghastly to the white balance on the bike shot but on closer inspection
it does look real. The whites are white, or close...

I like Russel's snowy cliff, stark as it is, there is life to it
somehow. The colorful facade is stunning. So crisp.

Solomon's jungle shots really catch the mood of the place.
From: tony cooper on
On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 08:42:07 -0800, Paul Furman <paul-@-edgehill.net>
wrote:

>tony cooper wrote:
>> I'm not big on patterns, abstracts, landscape distance shots, and arty stuff.
>> (Unless I take the picture)
>
>lol <smack!>
>
>Your shots turned out nice. At first I was sure you did something
>ghastly to the white balance on the bike shot but on closer inspection
>it does look real. The whites are white, or close...

Thank you. There really are no white areas in the photograph. The
whitewall tires are not really white. I tried using them as the white
point in curves, but that did something strange with the whole image.
The closest real white is the teardrop-shaped area on the fork.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida