From: Django on
Good day everyone, hope everyone had an enjoyable Thanksgiving day.
Appreciate it if you could tell me how to solve the following issue. I am
trying to add names in my resources so that it will match the names as listed
in Outlook (i.e. names separated with a comma). However I keep getting the
the following error message:

"Invalid name for a resource. Resource names cannot contain brackets ([]) or
the list separator charactor."

Is there a way to resolve this. The program that I am using uses the names
listed in the Microsoft Global address book. Is there a way to link Project
to the Global address book?
--
Django
From: Rob Schneider on
I guess you have to have names as expected by Project. There is no
setting that allows you to over-write what it expects. It has its own
reasons for the required naming conventions (probably to avoid confusing
it's own internal quering/regex commands).

To record this info in Project, you could create a new Resource Custom
Text field called "Outlook Name" and put the name info you require
there. Project won't do any input format checking there because it will
never use that info.

--rms

www.rmschneider.com

From: JulieS on
Hello Django,

Have you tried importing your resources directly from Outlook? Try
Insert > New Resource From > Address book. Much less typing. This
will not create a "link" to the Global Address book, but it will
allow you to quickly add resources and have them match.

I hope this helps. Let us know how you get along.

Julie
Project MVP

Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
information about Microsoft Project