From: Rex D Last on
I am new to this group and apologise if this has been answered before.

My old Belkin wireless router modem gave up and I've bought a new Linksys
WAG160N. This connects perfectly to one PC by cable and wirelessly to a
Sony Vaio laptop. Another PC has a Belkin PCI wireless network card and this
and the router cannot 'see' each other. Can anyone suggest how to do this or
is it impossible? All 3 computers are running XP SP3.

Thanks in advance.

--
Rex
(Somerset UK Rex.nospamLast(a)dsl.pipex.com)

From: Lem on
Rex D Last wrote:
> I am new to this group and apologise if this has been answered before.
>
> My old Belkin wireless router modem gave up and I've bought a new
> Linksys WAG160N. This connects perfectly to one PC by cable and
> wirelessly to a Sony Vaio laptop. Another PC has a Belkin PCI wireless
> network card and this and the router cannot 'see' each other. Can anyone
> suggest how to do this or is it impossible? All 3 computers are
> running XP SP3.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Your new Linksys router is wireless-N. Your old Belkin PCI card
probably is wireless-G or even wireless-B. Enter the router's web
configuration utility and go to Basic Wireless Settings and ensure that
"Network Mode" is "mixed" (which should be the default). See the Linksys
User Guide for more details.

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: Rick on
Rex D Last wrote:
> I am new to this group and apologise if this has been answered before.
>
> My old Belkin wireless router modem gave up and I've bought a new
> Linksys WAG160N. This connects perfectly to one PC by cable and
> wirelessly to a Sony Vaio laptop. Another PC has a Belkin PCI wireless
> network card and this and the router cannot 'see' each other. Can anyone
> suggest how to do this or is it impossible? All 3 computers are
> running XP SP3.
>
> Thanks in advance.

What type of security are you using on the router. It is possible that
the wireless card is to old to recognize the encryption. I have a
linksys pcmcia card that will not recognize my router--the card does not
work with SP3
From: Thomas F. Divine on
Make sure the router wireless setup includes the 802.11 "abg or n"
configurations that match the adapters on your laptops.

For example, if the router is setup for "N-only" operation (and some LinkSys
are that way...), then it will only support laptops that are in the 802.11
'N' mode. A laptop operating in the 802.11 'G' mode may not see the router.

So, setup the router for "mixed mode" and it should support 'N" and 'G'
laptops.

There may be another issue here, I encountered this one recently.

Good luck!

Thomas F. Divine

From: Rex D Last on
Many thanks for the helpful replies. The router setup was 'mixed mode' for
the other 2 devices only go up to 'G'. I had a long session with Linksys
support and it has been decided that the router is faulty. The retailer has
agreed to replace it. I'll report back when I've received it. Logically, I
am unable to understand why the new router communicates effortlessly with
the Vaio laptop and not at all with the Belkin PCI card but I shall just
have to wait and see.