From: JohnA on
I need help in where to start looking for the problem.
Linksys wireless-G WRT54G router v4.21.1
HP PSC 2510 printer
Toshiba Satellite Laptop Vista

Everything works well for a period of time (always a different length of
time).
Then one day I try printing and the document just doesn't print. It can be
viewed in the printer queue display.
I go to control panel, printers and the printer shows 'Offline'.
I have to go through the install steps to get the printer back 'Online' or
Ready. And off we go for another period of time.

I don't know if the problem is router, vista, cable, printer.

Where would an expert advise me to start looking?

thanks

From: Thomas F. Divine on
Your printer may be getting it's IP address (network address) from the
router using a service called the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol
(DHCP).

With DHCP the router "leases" IP addresses to various network nodes
(laptops, printers, etc.) for a period of time (maybe 24 hours).

Ordinarily network nodes renew the same address. But there could be a mix-up
sometime.

Your router probably has a setup feature called "DHCP reservation". This can
be used to tell the router to reserve a particular IP address for a node
like a printer. Try using that feature.

There could be other problems, but using DHCP reservation would eliminate at
least one potential gotcha.

Thomas F. Divine

From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
As said above in simple way. Devices thta are static on the Network and used
by the Network computers should be configured with a Static IP.
In addition log to the Router and make sure that there is a Valid Wireless
connection between the Router and the Printer.
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).