From: Alan Crowe on
tfb(a)conquest.OCF.Berkeley.EDU (Thomas F. Burdick) writes:

> cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anonymous:anonymous(a)common-lisp.net:/project/cells/cvsroot co cells
>
> The cells-cultures stuff isn't how things are organized anymore.

Thank you. I'm following the thread, thinking I must try
cells sometime soon:

509 man cvs
510 cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anonymous:anonymous(a)common-lisp.net:/project/cells/cvsroot cocell-cultures/cells
512 cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anonymous:anonymous(a)common-lisp.net:/project/cells/cvsroot co cell-cultures/cells
542 rm -r *
545 cvs -z3 -d :pserver:anonymous:anonymous(a)common-lisp.net:/project/cells/cvsroot co cells
549 history | grep 'cvs\|rm'

Alan Crowe
Edinburgh
Scotland
From: Tayssir John Gabbour on
goat_roperdillo(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> BTW any explication here on these threads should also be in the
> Cells documentation.

Alternatively, anyone could update the cliki page and cut 'n paste that
documentation. You could do that. So could I.

Taking initiative is a cost of democratic ideals like transparency and
ability to redistribute your modified code. Most people are trained to
use software for which pains are taken not to allow them to copy/modify
it. And I hear some large percentage of my fellow US citizens (like
80%?) spend much of their lives in workplaces where they don't have
serious power over decisionmaking, and are penalized for taking
initiative.

People are weakened by these sharp divisions (like between consumption
and production), but we can break out of them.

Collaboration is an important and human activity. Maybe every
historically important endeavor we can name required it, when we
examine the history closely (even though contemporary culture likes to
single out and deify certain individuals, and even through children are
graded like beef in a pretense of separating out those who are innately
useful for society).

So anyway, some people will prefer to specialize on what they wish to
do. Ok, so the question becomes, do I have the interest and ability to
pick up the slack? If so, maybe I'll do some small thing. Doesn't have
to be big; these small things add up.

Tayssir

From: Tin Gherdanarra on
Peter Seibel wrote:
> Next month I'm goin to be giving a talk[1] about the effect of
> programming language on software architecture. I'm thinking about what
> the heck I'm going to say and how to turn it into an oppotunity to
> brag on Lisp. So if you have any good war stories about how using Lisp
> (or any other language for that matter) had an affect on the
> architecture of the system you were working on, I'd love to hear
> them.
>
> -Peter
>
> [1] April 26th at the Software Architecture and Modeling SIG of
> SDForum in Palo Alto

I'm sure this is not what you had in mind, because
it does not involve a large application. However, it
is interesting how the author attributes his way to
important insights to Lisp and documents how he got
a different angle on the classic of fibonacci numbers.
Maybe you can use it as an appetizer for your talk:

http://fare.livejournal.com/59015.html

Break a leg.

From: John Thingstad on
On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 21:10:16 +0200, Tin Gherdanarra
<tinman31337(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Peter Seibel wrote:
>> Next month I'm goin to be giving a talk[1] about the effect of
>> programming language on software architecture. I'm thinking about what
>> the heck I'm going to say and how to turn it into an oppotunity to
>> brag on Lisp. So if you have any good war stories about how using Lisp
>> (or any other language for that matter) had an affect on the
>> architecture of the system you were working on, I'd love to hear
>> them.
>> -Peter
>> [1] April 26th at the Software Architecture and Modeling SIG of
>> SDForum in Palo Alto
>>

> I'm sure this is not what you had in mind, because
> it does not involve a large application. However, it
> is interesting how the author attributes his way to
> important insights to Lisp and documents how he got
> a different angle on the classic of fibonacci numbers.
> Maybe you can use it as an appetizer for your talk:
>
> http://fare.livejournal.com/59015.html
>
> Break a leg.

This could all be gotten from comp.lang.lisp..

From: Tin Gherdanarra on
John Thingstad wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Apr 2006 21:10:16 +0200, Tin Gherdanarra
> <tinman31337(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Peter Seibel wrote:
>>
>>> Next month I'm goin to be giving a talk[1] about the effect of
>>> programming language on software architecture. I'm thinking about what
>>> the heck I'm going to say and how to turn it into an oppotunity to
>>> brag on Lisp. So if you have any good war stories about how using Lisp
>>> (or any other language for that matter) had an affect on the
>>> architecture of the system you were working on, I'd love to hear
>>> them.
>>> -Peter
>>> [1] April 26th at the Software Architecture and Modeling SIG of
>>> SDForum in Palo Alto
>>>

>> I'm sure this is not what you had in mind, because
>> it does not involve a large application. However, it
>> is interesting how the author attributes his way to
>> important insights to Lisp and documents how he got
>> a different angle on the classic of fibonacci numbers.
>> Maybe you can use it as an appetizer for your talk:
>>
>> http://fare.livejournal.com/59015.html
>>
>> Break a leg.
>>

> This could all be gotten from comp.lang.lisp..

I'm glad to hear that, but what exactly does
"this all" mean?
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: cosx - sinx + 3x2