From: Ken Tilton on
bradb wrote:
> Your energetic post got me interested in Cells, so I downloaded the tgz
> from http://common-lisp.net/project/cells/ & tried to follow the cells
> basic tutorial & Bill's tutorial.
> I have a problem though, no where in the cells source directory can I
> find a definition for the DEF-C-ECHO macro.
> Am I missing something blindingly obvious?

No, I did a second version of Cells and changed def-c-echo to
def-c-output. That name is not working out either, look for it to become:

def-slot-change-handler

.... or something similarly uninterpretive. But for now you will likely
find it at the end of propagate.lisp. The arguments and functionality
are unchanged, so you can just do a global replace on any examples you find.

> Or is Cells ment to be
> installed someother way? ASDF-INSTALL failed (crashed) on a recentish
> SBCL. Should I try to install from CVS?
>
> Kenny, your post inspired me to look past the lack of documentation
> (examples and docs within the package acutally do look pretty good),

yeah, I got pretty chatty in commenting some of the test code, and I
usually recommend that to people who bother to ask.

> but so far I've had no luck getting any traction well using cells.

If you have any GUI stuff to do I could send you Cells3 when it
stabilizes. It will include Celtk as a demo app. Still no doc, just a
test function that exercises every Tk widget and makes the state even
more active <g> using Cells.

ken
From: billclem on
> Am I missing something blindingly obvious? Or is Cells ment to be
> installed someother way? ASDF-INSTALL failed (crashed) on a recentish
> SBCL. Should I try to install from CVS?

I'm always surprised when I hear of people having trouble installing
cells. Every time I've tried it, it's worked first time. I just tried
it again with both OpenMCL and SBCL and it worked fine on both of those
implementations. Basically, all I did was:

1. (asdf-install:install :cells) ; take the '0' debugger option if you
need to bypass gpg key checking
2. create a symlink to the cells directory (for some reason
asdf-install didn't do this) or cd to the cells directory
3. (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op :cells)
4. (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op :cells-test)

This last statement loads & runs all the test programs in the cells
test directory, so you'll get a lot sample output as well. I did steps
1-4 with OpenMCL (v1.0) and steps 3-4 (since I already had cells
installed) with SBCL (v0.9.6). These steps don't differ from how I
would install any other lisp library, so I'm surprised that you're
encountering problems.

--
Bill Clementson

From: Paolo Amoroso on
Ken Tilton <kentilton(a)gmail.com> writes:

> thread. You have not responded to those points, but simply say "bad
> doc!". I admit the latter freely, what do you have to say to my points

Incidentally, the best documentation for Cells may be that of
Garnet/KR. Reading this material is enough to understand what Cells
is about, and it can be picked up from the several examples in a
matter of hours.

Folks, especially novices: do check Lisp source code. You may be
surprised at how much you understand.

Paolo
--
Why Lisp? http://wiki.alu.org/RtL%20Highlight%20Film
The Common Lisp Directory: http://www.cl-user.net
From: Thomas F. Burdick on
"bradb" <brad.beveridge(a)gmail.com> writes:

> Your energetic post got me interested in Cells, so I downloaded the tgz
> from http://common-lisp.net/project/cells/ & tried to follow the cells
> basic tutorial & Bill's tutorial.
> I have a problem though, no where in the cells source directory can I
> find a definition for the DEF-C-ECHO macro.
> Am I missing something blindingly obvious? Or is Cells ment to be
> installed someother way? ASDF-INSTALL failed (crashed) on a recentish
> SBCL. Should I try to install from CVS?

Cells definately works with recent SBCLs, as that's what I use. I
keep intending to make a new release, as CVS does contain some (rather
obscure) bug fixes, so CVS isn't a bad idea.

--
/|_ .-----------------------.
,' .\ / | Free Mumia Abu-Jamal! |
From: Ken Tilton on
goat_roperdillo(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> X-No-Archive:yes
> Ken Tilton wrote:
>
>>goat_roperdillo(a)yahoo.com wrote:
>>
>>>X-No-Archive:yes

> Here the dreaded ellipsis (...) appears after a non-sequitur,
> indicating Kenny-knows-what!

.... unhygienic variable capture, special variables, non-standard method
combination....

> I admit the latter freely, what do you have to say to my points
>
>>about Cells being the long-sought Silver Bullet?
>

> Sorry, I can't speak to that: I haven't tried it.

Nonsense. I listed some of the prior art, some of which you knew. Tell
us the implications you see, if any, of automatic management of
long-lived, interdependent state. I will make it easy for you: how did
Visicalc improve on paper spreadsheets? And remember, this is why Brooks
said a Silver Bullet was impossible.

Or are you actually not interested at all in programming?

>>If someone brings you cold fusion in a mason jar, are you going to say
>>"No Pyrex beaker?"?
>

> No, I would run away yelling "No lead beaker?"

<g>

> And FWIW I have a well-worn copy of Sutherland's dissertation,
> "SKETCHPAD, A MAN-MACHINE GRAPHICAL COMMUNICATION SYSTEM" not 4 feet
> away to my left

Awesome. Just googled it. Thanks. Never saw that before.

> (I could pick it out of my bookshelves blindfolded).
> I've read it no less than 3 times over the years.

Three times?! There is the problem. You like to read doc. I like to
write code. We better call the whole thing off.

> It is very
> well-written and easy to understand. He wrote it _before_ he received
> his Ph.D.

As if! "This paper is based in part on a thesis submitted to the
Department of Electrical Engineering, M.I.T., in partial fulfillment of
the requirements for the Degree of Doctor of Philosophy."

> If you write documentation as clearly as Sutherland did and publish it
> with your code then people will more willingly accept your products.

Look, Sutherland /had/ to write his thesis. His whole frickin'
publish-or-perish career depended on the paper: "Reprinted from
proceedings of the AFIPS Spring Joint Computer Conference, Detroit,
Michigan, May 21-23, 1963, pp. 329-346."

Hope you did not send your shirts out.*

ken

* Adding insult to injury, when a baseball player learns they have been
sent down to the minor leagues for bad performance and must be on the
bus in a few hours to join the lowly new team, sometimes it so happens
they just sent their shirts to the cleaners (to be picked up in three
days--doh!).
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Prev: cosx - sinx + 3x2