From: gavino on
On Dec 13, 11:36 am, Kaz Kylheku <kkylh...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2009-12-13, francogrex <fra...(a)grex.org> wrote:
>
> > Mirko <mirko.vuko...(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:0789e9cd-4369-4a41-8a42-
> > 8567d1af4...(a)a32g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:
> >> The authors of recent lisp books need to think more about the books'
> >> titles.  Look at these two:
>
> >>  - Let over Lambda (own it)
> >>  - Land of Lisp (will try to get it)
>
> >> What do they have in common?  The same acronym as `lots of laughs':
> >> LOL.
>
> > It's good that you have observed that. though I doubt the authors of the
> > book had bad intentions, they probably didn't even realize.
>
> See, that's a problem, What sort of Lisper, nay hacker,  doesn't notice
> the acronym formed by a book title? :)

one who is writing cool programs! bam!
From: zzbunker on
On Dec 12, 9:07 am, Mirko <mirko.vuko...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> The authors of recent lisp books need to think more about the books'
> titles.  Look at these two:
>
>  - Let over Lambda (own it)
>  - Land of Lisp (will try to get it)
>
> What do they have in common?  The same acronym as `lots of laughs':
> LOL.
>
> I mean who will take language seriously thusly titled books?  How can
> I tell anyone that I like lisp.  They will go online, see these books,
> and just laugh.

Well, Lisp is why the people who actually understand Publishling
invented Holograms and Digital Books, rather than Breakpoints.

It's why the people who understand engineering invented
atomic clock watches, rather than double slit experiments.

It's why the people who understand paper invented
cd+rw, blue ray, and usb, rather than keyboards.

It's why the people who understand polynominal time invented
Home Broadband, XML, mp3, mpeg, Distributed Processing Software,
and Desktop Publishing, rather than Polynomials.

It's why the people who understand hardware invented
self-replicating machines, rather than hardware.

It's why the people who understand software invented
PGP rather than Turing Machines

It's why the people who understand editting invented
Multiplexed Fiber Optics, rather than editors.

It's why the people who understand periphals
invented HDTV and Cyber Batteries rather than periphals.

It's why the people who understand economics
invented GPS and Self-Assembling Robots rather than Firmware.

It's why the people who understand Goedel Numbering
invented Digital Terrain Mapping and Rapid Prototyping, rather than
GM.

It's the people who understand Code Debuggers
invented External Emulators, All-In-One Printers,
and Data Fusion, rather than Transitors.

It's why the people who understand energy invented
The History Channel and Microwave cooling, rather than Philosophy.

From: joswig on
On 12 Dez., 15:07, Mirko <mirko.vuko...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> The authors of recent lisp books need to think more about the books'
> titles.  Look at these two:
>
>  - Let over Lambda (own it)
>  - Land of Lisp (will try to get it)
>
> What do they have in common?  The same acronym as `lots of laughs':
> LOL.
>
> I mean who will take language seriously thusly titled books?  How can
> I tell anyone that I like lisp.  They will go online, see these books,
> and just laugh.
>
> Nevertheless, congrats to the authors,
>
> Mirko

Lisp has a number of funny people, not only writing books
with funny titles, but also writing programs making
you laugh...

http://grok-code.com/12/how-to-write-original-jokes-or-have-a-computer-do-it-for-you/
http://dobbscodetalk.com/index.php?option=com_myblog&show=Jess-Johnsons-Joke-Generator-in-Lisp.html&Itemid=29

Earlier I had fixed some problems in the above code and made it
portable.
Get it here:

http://lispm.dyndns.org/lisp/source/new-jokes.lisp

CL-USER 1 > (load (compile-file "new-jokes.lisp"))
;;; Compiling file new-jokes.lisp ...
;;; Safety = 3, Speed = 1, Space = 1, Float = 1, Interruptible = 1
;;; Compilation speed = 1, Debug = 2, Fixnum safety = 3
;;; Source level debugging is on
;;; Source file recording is on
;;; Cross referencing is on
; (TOP-LEVEL-FORM 0)
; (DEFPARAMETER *DEBUG*)
; (DEFPARAMETER *TEST-KNOW*)
; (DEFPARAMETER *VOCAB*)
; (DEFPARAMETER *LITERAL-LIST*)
; (DEFPARAMETER *PUNCHLINE*)
; (SUBFUNCTION (DEFSETF WORD-PROP-ART) (DEFSTRUCT WORD-PROP))
; (SUBFUNCTION (DEFSETF WORD-PROP-ANIM) (DEFSTRUCT WORD-PROP))
; (SUBFUNCTION (DEFSETF WORD-PROP-POS) (DEFSTRUCT WORD-PROP))
; (SUBFUNCTION (DEFSETF WORD-PROP-HOMOPHONE) (DEFSTRUCT WORD-PROP))
; (SUBFUNCTION (DEFSETF WORD-PROP-RELATION) (DEFSTRUCT WORD-PROP))
; (SUBFUNCTION (DEFSETF WORD-PROP-LITERAL) (DEFSTRUCT WORD-PROP))
; (SUBFUNCTION MAKE-WORD-PROP (DEFSTRUCT WORD-PROP))
; (SUBFUNCTION MAKE-WORD-PROP (DEFSTRUCT WORD-PROP))
; GENERATE
; ANIM-MATCH
; ANSWER-JOKE
; ADD-PUNCHLINE
; SUBSTRING-P
; STARTS-WITH
; MAKE-COMPOUND
; MAKE-SUBSTRING-WORD
; IS-POS
; DERIVE-WORDS
; ADD-SUFFIX
; PRINT-JOKE
; ADD-ARTICLE
; IS-VOWEL
; SEED-KNOWLEDGE-TEST
; SEED-KNOWLEDGE
; ADD-RELATION
; ADD-HOMOPHONE
; ADD-WORD
; PRINT-VOCAB
; TEST
;; Processing Cross Reference Information
#P"/Users/joswig/Desktop/new-jokes.64xfasl"

CL-USER 2 > (generate)
WHAT DO YOU GET WHEN YOU CROSS JAM WITH A TROUT?
jellyfish

WHAT DO YOU GET WHEN YOU CROSS A BAD COW WITH A CANNED HAT?
banned cat

WHAT DO YOU GET WHEN YOU CROSS A COW WITH A LEMON?
sour milk

WHAT DO YOU GET WHEN YOU CROSS A CRAZY COW WITH A BANNED PARROT?
canned carrot

WHAT DO YOU GET WHEN YOU CROSS A PIG WITH A NINJA?
pork chops

WHAT DO YOU GET WHEN YOU CROSS A CAT WITH A BAND?
mew-sic

WHAT DO YOU GET WHEN YOU CROSS A CAT WITH A TUNE?
mew-sic

People have written Lisp programs to generate stories:

http://lispm.dyndns.org/news?ID=NEWS-2008-05-26-1

Source (with various bug fixes by me):

http://lispm.dyndns.org/source/misc/micro-talespin.lisp

From the following story description:

(joe hungry
(world (hungry (actor irving) (mode (pos))))
(joe (like (actor irving) (to joe) (mode (pos))))
(joe (deceive (actor irving) (to joe) (mode (neg))))
(joe (like (actor joe) (to irving) (mode (pos))))
(irving (like (actor irving) (to joe) (mode (pos))))
(irving (dominate (actor irving) (to joe) (mode (neg))))
(irving (deceive (actor irving) (to joe) (mode (neg)))))

the following story is generated:

CL-USER 18 > (micro-talespin-demo *story4*)

Once upon a time ...
JOE WAS NEAR THE CAVE.
JOE KNEW THAT JOE WAS NEAR THE CAVE.
IRVING WAS NEAR THE OAK-TREE.
IRVING KNEW THAT IRVING WAS NEAR THE OAK-TREE.
JOE KNEW THAT IRVING WAS NEAR THE OAK-TREE.
THE WATER WAS NEAR THE RIVER.
JOE KNEW THAT THE WATER WAS NEAR THE RIVER.
THE HONEY WAS NEAR THE ELM-TREE.
IRVING KNEW THAT THE HONEY WAS NEAR THE ELM-TREE.
THE WORM WAS NEAR THE GROUND.
JOE KNEW THAT THE WORM WAS NEAR THE GROUND.
IRVING KNEW THAT JOE WAS NEAR THE CAVE.
THE FISH WAS NEAR THE RIVER.
IRVING KNEW THAT THE FISH WAS NEAR THE RIVER.
IRVING WAS HUNGRY.
JOE THOUGHT THAT IRVING LIKED JOE.
JOE THOUGHT THAT IRVING DID NOT DECEIVE JOE.
JOE THOUGHT THAT JOE LIKED IRVING.
IRVING THOUGHT THAT IRVING LIKED JOE.
IRVING THOUGHT THAT IRVING DID NOT DOMINATE JOE.
IRVING THOUGHT THAT IRVING DID NOT DECEIVE JOE.
One day,
JOE WAS HUNGRY.
JOE WANTED NOT TO BE HUNGRY.
JOE WANTED TO HAVE THE HONEY.
JOE WANTED TO KNOW WHERE THE HONEY WAS.
JOE WANTED IRVING TO TELL JOE WHERE THE HONEY WAS.
JOE DECIDED THAT IF JOE WOULD GIVE IRVING THE WORM THEN IRVING MIGHT
TELL JOE WHERE THE HONEY WAS.
JOE WANTED IRVING TO THINK THAT IRVING WOULD TELL JOE WHERE THE HONEY
WAS IF JOE GAVE IRVING THE WORM.
JOE WANTED TO BE NEAR IRVING.
JOE WENT TO THE OAK-TREE.
JOE WAS NEAR THE OAK-TREE.
JOE ASKED IRVING WHETHER IRVING WOULD TELL JOE WHERE THE HONEY WAS IF
JOE GAVE IRVING THE WORM.
IRVING TOLD JOE THAT IF JOE WOULD GIVE IRVING THE WORM THEN IRVING
WOULD TELL JOE WHERE THE HONEY WAS.
IRVING DECIDED THAT IF JOE WOULD GIVE IRVING THE WORM THEN IRVING
WOULD TELL JOE WHERE THE HONEY WAS.
JOE WANTED TO HAVE THE WORM.
JOE WANTED TO BE NEAR THE WORM.
JOE WENT TO THE GROUND.
JOE WAS NEAR THE GROUND.
JOE TOOK THE WORM .
THE WORM WAS NEAR JOE.
JOE HAD THE WORM.
JOE WANTED TO BE NEAR IRVING.
JOE WENT TO THE OAK-TREE.
JOE WAS NEAR THE OAK-TREE.
JOE GAVE IRVING THE WORM.
JOE DID NOT HAVE THE WORM.
THE WORM WAS NEAR IRVING.
IRVING HAD THE WORM.
IRVING TOLD JOE THAT THE HONEY WAS NEAR THE ELM-TREE.
JOE WANTED TO BE NEAR THE HONEY.
JOE WENT TO THE ELM-TREE.
JOE WAS NEAR THE ELM-TREE.
JOE TOOK THE HONEY .