From: Mirko on
The authors of recent lisp books need to think more about the books'
titles. Look at these two:

- Let over Lambda (own it)
- Land of Lisp (will try to get it)

What do they have in common? The same acronym as `lots of laughs':
LOL.

I mean who will take language seriously thusly titled books? How can
I tell anyone that I like lisp. They will go online, see these books,
and just laugh.

Nevertheless, congrats to the authors,

Mirko
From: Tamas K Papp on
On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 06:07:36 -0800, Mirko wrote:

> The authors of recent lisp books need to think more about the books'
> titles. Look at these two:
>
> - Let over Lambda (own it)
> - Land of Lisp (will try to get it)
>
> What do they have in common? The same acronym as `lots of laughs': LOL.
>
> I mean who will take language seriously thusly titled books? How can I
> tell anyone that I like lisp. They will go online, see these books, and
> just laugh.

I don't see what the problem is. You can always condense something to
an acronym, map that to another arbitrary meaning, then proceed to
find it funny. For most people the novelty of this wears off around
age 6.

And anyhow, you can always get drunk and free associate, then you
don't need acronyms either. Eg Land of Lisp is an anagram of ISLAND
FLOP. Wow, that language must be totally ridiculous.

Cheers,

Tamas
From: joswig on
On 12 Dez., 15:07, Mirko <mirko.vuko...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> The authors of recent lisp books need to think more about the books'
> titles.  Look at these two:
>
>  - Let over Lambda (own it)
>  - Land of Lisp (will try to get it)
>
> What do they have in common?  The same acronym as `lots of laughs':
> LOL.
>
> I mean who will take language seriously thusly titled books?  How can
> I tell anyone that I like lisp.  They will go online, see these books,
> and just laugh.
>
> Nevertheless, congrats to the authors,
>
> Mirko

Not sure who originally came up with this:

Schemer: "Buddha is small, clean, and serious." Lispnik: "Buddha is
big, has hairy armpits, and laughs."

From: W. James on
Mirko wrote:

> The authors of recent lisp books need to think more about the books'
> titles. Look at these two:
>
> - Let over Lambda (own it)
> - Land of Lisp (will try to get it)
>
> What do they have in common? The same acronym as `lots of laughs':
> LOL.
>
> I mean who will take language seriously thusly titled books? How can
> I tell anyone that I like lisp. They will go online, see these books,
> and just laugh.
>
> Nevertheless, congrats to the authors,
>
> Mirko

Are these books about CL (COBOL-LISP)? If so, then they
aren't about Lisp. The book _Learning LISP_ (1984) says:

"Lisp is simple."
"Lisp is fun."

One certainly can't honestly say that COBOL-L (CL, Commode Lisp,
Commune Lisp, etc.) is simple or fun.

Guy L. Steele, Jr., July 1989:

I think we may usefully compare the approximate number of pages
in the defining standard or draft standard for several
programming languages:

Common Lisp 1000 or more
COBOL 810
ATLAS 790
Fortran 77 430
PL/I 420
BASIC 360
ADA 340
Fortran 8x 300
C 220
Pascal 120
DIBOL 90
Scheme 50

Let's ban the CL hyenas and keep this newsgroup focused on genuine Lisp.

From: joswig on
On 13 Dez., 09:17, "W. James" <w_a_x_...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> Mirko wrote:
> > The authors of recent lisp books need to think more about the books'
> > titles.  Look at these two:
>
> >  - Let over Lambda (own it)
> >  - Land of Lisp (will try to get it)
>
> > What do they have in common?  The same acronym as `lots of laughs':
> > LOL.
>
> > I mean who will take language seriously thusly titled books?  How can
> > I tell anyone that I like lisp.  They will go online, see these books,
> > and just laugh.
>
> > Nevertheless, congrats to the authors,
>
> > Mirko
>
> Are these books about CL (COBOL-LISP)?  If so, then they
> aren't about Lisp.  The book _Learning LISP_ (1984) says:
>
> "Lisp is simple."
> "Lisp is fun."
>
> One certainly can't honestly say that COBOL-L (CL, Commode Lisp,
> Commune Lisp, etc.) is simple or fun.
>
> Guy L. Steele, Jr., July 1989:
>
> I think we may usefully compare the approximate number of pages
> in the defining standard or draft standard for several
> programming languages:
>
>   Common Lisp   1000 or more
>   COBOL          810
>   ATLAS          790
>   Fortran 77     430
>   PL/I           420
>   BASIC          360
>   ADA            340
>   Fortran 8x     300
>   C              220
>   Pascal         120
>   DIBOL           90
>   Scheme          50
>
> Let's ban the CL hyenas and keep this newsgroup focused on genuine Lisp.
>
> --

Common Lisp 1000 or more
COBOL 810
ATLAS 790